Englander PDV-25 help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluhming

Jan 17, 2015
ohio
I recently got an Englander pdv-25 manufatured 7/98 . The person i got it from said he put a bag of wet pellets in it and it stopped feeding at the end of the first season , he assumed the auger was broke , he soon moved and the stove was dropped while loading it breaking the door glass and has been sitting in a garage since 2000 . We took the stove apart and found auger wasn't broke , just jammed tight with saw dust . After a thorough cleaning and removing auger the auger would turn . Stove was reassembled with new door glass and burnt for about 2 hours when lower auger stopped turning . I tapped the auger with a hammer a few times and it started turning again and burnt for another hour before it quit again . Right now the auger will not rotate , it can be wiggled from side to side and if you grab the auger you can move it forward about a half inch , when you let go of the auger it seems to snap back to original position . Any help would be appreciated .

Sounds like the lower Auger Motor might be shot. A quick check is to swap auger motors to see if that's the issue.

Instead of switching motors I just switched the wires from top to bottom , still no bottom auger . Son pulled the bottom motor , cleaned and oiled it , and after a few minutes of messing with it had it turning . Been working fine for 2 hours . Hopefully this is all it needed . Thanks .

Guess I spoke too soon , after about 2 1/2 hrs auger stopped . tapped it and it started and ran for 1/2 hr , tapped it again and it started making a squeeling noise , so I bit the bullet and ordered a Gleason Avery motor off ebay , 62$ and free shipping .

Changing the wire will not do anything except make the top auger rotate continuously and the bottom auger move every 6-8 seconds. Both motors are identical and by switching them it take the increased load off the bottom motor that quit on you after time. I did the same thing and have not had an issue with a Ager stopping in almost 2 weeks. However I did order a new Auger motor to have around incase the issue rears its head again.

Changing the wire will not do anything except make the top auger rotate continuously and the bottom auger move every 6-8 seconds. Both motors are identical and by switching them it take the increased load off the bottom motor that quit on you after time. I did the same thing and have not had an issue with a Ager stopping in almost 2 weeks. However I did order a new Auger motor to have around incase the issue rears its head again.
Well, actually, it will at least tell you if it is the auger motor that went south, or if it was the control board.

Eric

That's what I thought I needed to check . Didn't think about the added load of turning constantly . Oh well , ordered a motor I'll put in it and have the other back .

Status
Not open for further replies.