1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Englander PDVC 25 on Generator

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by PunKid8888, Dec 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PunKid8888

PunKid8888 New Member

Loc:
    South East NH
    So I have had a little generator for the last coupld days the Stove has worked great. The stove worked flawlessly and it only surged (blower speed) ever so slightly on occasion when the fridge would kick on.

I now have a bigger generator that I borrowed so I could get my well going and such. Well the stove believe it or not does not like this generator at all. Its very odd, but it does not seam like the blower speed is correct with the number.
    I almost always leave it on setting 3,3 and during start up its very quiet and then once its heated up its ramps up and you can here the blower. Now with this new generator it ends its Start up cycle, but did not seam to spool up the blower. So I turned it up to 4, and it sounded like it was on 1 or 2, then 5 sounded like 3 and so on. it just seams like setting 1,2,3 on the blower speed was not doing anything.

Well I left it on 3,5 for the night and it seamed fine. I hope when I get power back (they said by tonight) that It will work fine again.

Anyone else experience this?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. imacman

imacman Guest

You might want to check the output voltage from the bigger generator....if it's not at 120 v, that could cause your problem.
  3. PunKid8888

PunKid8888 New Member

Loc:
    South East NH
    I think voltage should be between 110v and 120V, I checked it last night and it was fluctuating between 109 and 113 so I can't imagine that effecting it that much. The other generator you actually had to dial in the voltage (knob), so I kept it at about 115 and it would drop to about 110 when the fridge came on.
  4. MCPO

MCPO Minister of Fire

Loc:
    western Ma , close to NY state border
    Turn it up to 120-125 v.
  5. imacman

imacman Guest

109 to 113 is low....get the voltage up to at least 115-120. Low voltage is not good for things like motors.
  6. PunKid8888

PunKid8888 New Member

Loc:
    South East NH
    I thought thats how most electic motors with varriable speed worked? like fans and such? low speed just ment less voltage. so how could it be bad?

If its just that its a little to low then that would make sense that it seams like the lowest setting are not doing anything, probably because they are reducing the voltage soo much
  7. crausch

crausch New Member

Loc:
    Littlestown, PA
    Can you put a surge protecter with (AVR) automatic voltage regulator or something else between the generator and the stove? Maybe its the dirty/fluctuating current that is causing the problem. Your other generator maybe produces a cleaner output of voltage.
  8. imacman

imacman Guest

Regardless of how the motor speed is changed, the incoming voltage to the stove shouldn't be less than about 115. If you can adjust the generator to give 120v, even better. Let the controls on the stove do the speed changes on the motors.
  9. PunKid8888

PunKid8888 New Member

Loc:
    South East NH
    Well the bigger generator does not have any adjustment to the voltage. and I did notice that the lights seams to flicker a little more with the big generator. So that would make sense that the smaller one was a little more cleaner.

I do have it on a surge protector for obvious reasons, no voltage regulator tho.
  10. donkarlos

donkarlos New Member

Loc:
    MA
    how many watts are the two gens?
  11. PunKid8888

PunKid8888 New Member

Loc:
    South East NH
    the small one was 1800watts the new one I am using I think is 3700w I think
  12. pelletizer

pelletizer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pellet County N.H.
    I ran mine on a 5000 watt run through a Gen Tran for 5 days with no issues,
  13. PunKid8888

PunKid8888 New Member

Loc:
    South East NH
    Well, I am hoping it was just the low voltage from the generator. that is something I will have to look into when I buy a generator.

But I got my power back last night, and the stove worked without any problems. It was so nice to watch a big TV and flip through all my channels and just veg out for the evening. Thanks for the responses
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.