Englander PDVC 25 on Generator

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PunKid8888

Feeling the Heat
Nov 25, 2008
South East NH
So I have had a little generator for the last coupld days the Stove has worked great. The stove worked flawlessly and it only surged (blower speed) ever so slightly on occasion when the fridge would kick on.

I now have a bigger generator that I borrowed so I could get my well going and such. Well the stove believe it or not does not like this generator at all. Its very odd, but it does not seam like the blower speed is correct with the number.
I almost always leave it on setting 3,3 and during start up its very quiet and then once its heated up its ramps up and you can here the blower. Now with this new generator it ends its Start up cycle, but did not seam to spool up the blower. So I turned it up to 4, and it sounded like it was on 1 or 2, then 5 sounded like 3 and so on. it just seams like setting 1,2,3 on the blower speed was not doing anything.

Well I left it on 3,5 for the night and it seamed fine. I hope when I get power back (they said by tonight) that It will work fine again.

Anyone else experience this?

You might want to check the output voltage from the bigger generator....if it's not at 120 v, that could cause your problem.

I think voltage should be between 110v and 120V, I checked it last night and it was fluctuating between 109 and 113 so I can't imagine that effecting it that much. The other generator you actually had to dial in the voltage (knob), so I kept it at about 115 and it would drop to about 110 when the fridge came on.

Turn it up to 120-125 v.

PunKid8888 said:
I think voltage should be between 110v and 120V, I checked it last night and it was fluctuating between 109 and 113 so I can't imagine that effecting it that much. The other generator you actually had to dial in the voltage (knob), so I kept it at about 115 and it would drop to about 110 when the fridge came on.

109 to 113 is low....get the voltage up to at least 115-120. Low voltage is not good for things like motors.

I thought thats how most electic motors with varriable speed worked? like fans and such? low speed just ment less voltage. so how could it be bad?

If its just that its a little to low then that would make sense that it seams like the lowest setting are not doing anything, probably because they are reducing the voltage soo much

Can you put a surge protecter with (AVR) automatic voltage regulator or something else between the generator and the stove? Maybe its the dirty/fluctuating current that is causing the problem. Your other generator maybe produces a cleaner output of voltage.

Regardless of how the motor speed is changed, the incoming voltage to the stove shouldn't be less than about 115. If you can adjust the generator to give 120v, even better. Let the controls on the stove do the speed changes on the motors.

Well the bigger generator does not have any adjustment to the voltage. and I did notice that the lights seams to flicker a little more with the big generator. So that would make sense that the smaller one was a little more cleaner.

I do have it on a surge protector for obvious reasons, no voltage regulator tho.

the small one was 1800watts the new one I am using I think is 3700w I think

I ran mine on a 5000 watt run through a Gen Tran for 5 days with no issues,

Well, I am hoping it was just the low voltage from the generator. that is something I will have to look into when I buy a generator.

But I got my power back last night, and the stove worked without any problems. It was so nice to watch a big TV and flip through all my channels and just veg out for the evening. Thanks for the responses

Status
Not open for further replies.