Englander pdvc just can't get enough air

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ken372

Sep 18, 2014
Pa.
Hi everyone,
This is my first yr on the forum and I love this place! I hate to be a pest but I just can't seem to get enough air to my 25 pdvc.i have a oak hooked up my vent is out the wall 1 ft.then a tee up 3 ft.then a turn away and 1 ft and end cap.my bottom 3 settings are 5 9 1 I and the top is 3 3 it seems no matter what pellets we use the stove burns great for about 3 or 4 hrs then the flame goes lazy and is real dark.i have all new gaskets and a brand new exhaust blower and have cleaned this after every bag of pellets. Maybe overkill but I know a dirty stove won't burn right so I just want to be sure it's clean.currently burning prest logs been running a hr now and the flame is dark orange and my air setting is wide open at 9 any ideas from all the pros out there?

Seems like something is blocking your OAK.
Try disconnecting it at the stove & see if it burns cleaner...
If it doesn't make sure the intake on the stove is clear as well..

Checked the oak all is clear burns the same w/ o the oak hooked up also

Send a PM (start a conversation with) to Mike Holton (stoveguy2esw).
He works there & is one of the Englander Gurus...

If you are using the OAK that came with the stove check the screen on the outside of your house on the intake, sometimes the screen gets real dirty.
Denny

If it burns the same without the OAK hooked up, the screen isn't the problem ...........

Factory settings for the bottom 3 numbers are 641. Check your mode also abcd etc. Somebody else can chime in on a factory reset. When was the last time you totally cleaned it, I meen take a small hose and vacuum all the tiny air passages including the leaf blower trick? My unit does sorta the same thing 3/4 through the year a total cleaning resolves the issue.
Denny

I did a total clean again today all the pipe exhaust blower out clean replace leaf blower and the entire inside of the stove with a ash vac and hose.double checked the settings 5 9 1 as per mike since it's a 05 fresh bag of logs same dirty large flame.i'm stumped.

If mike says 591 then then so be it, did he say anything about changing or checking the mode? Not sure if that's applicable on a 05 I think changes were made in 07. Your issue make me scratch my head, the pdvc is pretty much a easy to figure out basic machine. Keep in contact with mike he will get you going. I'm burning press to logs now with no issues, I would try a few bags of another brand, I doubt it, but I've seen crazier things.
Denny

3" or 4" exhaust pipe ?

These stoves do burn crappy and that's because of the burn pot design.

I fixed that in my stove with a mod to the burn chamber, I've since moved to prototype 3 with mine. Got mine to burn how I want and at the same time not get clogged up with ash on the burn plate and not a single clinker so far. The glass stays clear, I don't get that black soot now. Prototype 3 seems to have stopped the carbon buildup around the auger and the chamber where the pellets enter the burn pot.

It's a 3 inch pipe so far we have tried presto logs ligs awf nations choice they were crap heaters and green supremes. Something is up with the stove because it usually will eat anything we put in it. Just seems I'm not getting any air I did a reset on the board mode d I thinking maybe the board may be bad.

Also I haven't spoke to mike yet on this problem when I rebuilt this stove a few weeks ago he gave me the board settings for it.i'm hoping he sees this and will chime in.

Status
Not open for further replies.