Englander Pellet Feed Rates

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DawgOnKing

Jan 7, 2010
NE Ohio
Anyone done any testing on feed rate settings to pellet consumption? For instance, setting 1 burns 40lbs./day while setting 3 burns 50lbs./day, etc..

I hope to do so in the future, but the temperature changes here in OH have prevented me from testing. I seem to get by most of the time with feed rates of 1-3. It's warm enough to cycle our furnace most of the day/night. That being said, I plan to run it warmer next season when I'm not burning $5 bags. In the meantime, if the burn difference between setting 1 and 4 is only 10 pounds per day, I should just crank it up and enjoy the heat now. I haven't paid enough attention thus far having only burned 17-18 bags.

Anyway, just curious if others have generic info for their settings. If so, I would be interested in what you've discovered. If not, I will provide info for my PDVC in the near future!

I have an Englander also, but havent done any kind of testing on the feed rates. I was thinking about this the other day because I noticed that the feed rate seemed to vary between brands of pellets. I have a couple tons of Corrinth pellets I bought this year, and they were quite a bit longer than the Pennington's I burnt last year. The longer pellets seemed to feed at a slower rate. This seems to make sense because with longer pellets they dont fit together as easy coming down the auger tube. I was wondering if others had similar experience.

Ben,

I have only burned Somerset pellets and get approx 18-20 hours to a bag when burning on feed rates of 1-3. What I haven't seen is how much I burn on feed rates of 4-6, etc.. You experience with longer pellets burning longer makes sense to me.

I don't have an Englander, but I have a similar model. I've noticed that most pellets have different burn rates. I had been burning Lignetics, and a bag would usually last me approximately 12 1/2 hours or so on my preferred heat setting. I'm currently burning Somersets, and on the same setting (as the Lignetics), I only get about 11 hours or so out of each bag, but they burned so much hotter. I guess it comes down to a bunch of different reasons why, including the pellet size, air flow setting, and type of wood being burned. It's most likely the pellet sizes though, because the Lignetics are a little bigger in size than the Somersets, so more of the pellets were being fed into the burn pot. To offset that, I turned down the pellet feed setting 2 notches and now I can get a bag to last about the same as the Lignetics, and still put off a tad more heat then them. Have fun fooling around with your settings - I know I did with mine. Good luck!

DawgOnKing said:
Ben,

I have only burned Somerset pellets and get approx 18-20 hours to a bag when burning on feed rates of 1-3. What I haven't seen is how much I burn on feed rates of 4-6, etc.. You experience with longer pellets burning longer makes sense to me.

18-20 hrs seems normal to me.

Gio said:
DawgOnKing said:
Ben,

18-20 hrs seems normal to me.

I just got approx 18 hours on a setting of 2/4 burning Somersets. That seems consistent for my stove. Front left exhaust temp of 238 degrees. Now burning Eco-Flame and will see what I get.

Hello

I have an Avalon Astoria and got the lowest and highest feed rate from the manufacturer, then interpolated those to get the in between feed rates.

Therefore:
Heat       Burn
Setting   Rate (Lbs/Hour)
   1          1.7
   2          2.46
   3          3.22
   4          3.98
   5          4.74
   6          5.5

If you cannot get any info from the manufacturer, I suggest you measure a pound of pellets and add them to a clean hopper. See how long it takes to burn. Then use that info to calculate how many pounds will burn in one hour. Do that for the highest setting and then interpolate for the intermediate settings. Sounds like alot of work but not really and well worth it!

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.