Englander Pellet Grill

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dhungy

Feeling the Heat
Jan 7, 2010
Fingerlakes
A week or so ago I was reading on here about Englander releasing a Pellet Grill. I was suprised to find that they are partnering with Fast Eddy, a much respected pellet pit developer whos pits are some of the best performing in the industry. I am excited to see the result of there partnership. They say they will be in HD and Lowes. The cost will still be significant, much more than my traeger Jr. But the size and performance may be well worth it.

Hello

Cool, Thanks for the info! I bet it will be less money than the Black Olive grill!

BTW How is your Avalon Astoria?

I just ordered some paint to paint my iron firebrick backing. It is a little dingy after 3 winter seasons.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...k-good-for-the-fall.88499/page-2#post-1153039

It is doing fine. I still wish i knew about this site before i bought it, could have saved some money. We have opened up a few walls in the house this summer. I am anticipating the astoria heating the house more evenly. We are even trying to sell the englander as we feel we no longer need it. I still need to begin purchasing my pellets for the upcoming season. Looking at barefoot and dry creek for the winter and currans for the shoulder.

Havent seen many reviews about the black olive. Farenheight also makes a pellet grill that is similar to the olive. its called the grilla check it out its a really nice unit as well. Fast eddies pits have a dual zone grill meaning they have an area for direct over the fire cooking as well as a indirect. It appears the englander will have the same design!

Hello
Well you still made a good reliable choice in the Astoria. If I had known more, I may have gone with the re-designed Hudson River West Point called the Hudson River Kinderhook now made by Enviro for my Basement Install. What would you have done?

I saw that Pellet Grill perform at HPBA Atlanta and spoke with Fast Eddy. Great guy! Since I'm an avid BBQ cook I spend some time discussing the tricks of the trade. The great thing is he was not holding back. Letting me know all the good stuff about championship BBQ.

Of course, my ribs are still better. Just dont want to put anyone to shame in a competition... ;em

Reactions: Eatonpcat
I saw that Pellet Grill perform at HPBA Atlanta and spoke with Fast Eddy. Great guy! Since I'm an avid BBQ cook I spend some time discussing the tricks of the trade. The great thing is he was not holding back. Letting me know all the good stuff about championship BBQ.

Of course, my ribs are still better. Just dont want to put anyone to shame in a competition... ;em
And you're modest...so you get double points.

Reactions: Eatonpcat
Im also looking forward to the release of Englanders new Pellet stove this year. Supposed to be round in shape and somewhat resemble a Beer Can! :) The grill should be pretty solid.. But it will cost you. And Don, its gonna be right there with the Black Olive, as far as price...

my Traeger jr only set me back $450 with a digital controller... It suits me fine, can it be better.. yes... can I afford better... no

Hello
Well you still made a good reliable choice in the Astoria. If I had known more, I may have gone with the re-designed Hudson River West Point called the Hudson River Kinderhook now made by Enviro for my Basement Install. What would you have done?

I would have probably looked into a unit that would have hooked up to my forced air system. Like the farenheight furnace. Would of made my wife happier.

I would have probably looked into a unit that would have hooked up to my forced air system. Like the farenheight furnace. Would of made my wife happier.

Maybe you and Dexter can trade? :cool:

Yah, the cost of pellet grills is insane. I do not see why there are not cheaper models out there. The Brinkmann is about as cheap as you can get for reasonable quality at $500. From thre it goes up, up and more up in price. The same size Brinkmann with a wood smoker pot instead of a pellet feeder is only $150. The small Jr. Traegers are $400 but the newer ones are Chicom crap. Fast Eddy grills start at $2,500 and go up from there. I want the Fast Eddy cook shack smoker, but that is $4,000. So that is not gonna happen...

The pellet grill I am considering now is the Louisianna Grill CS-450, but that is a $grand$. So that will likely not happen either. On CL here people want near new prices for their pellet BBQ grills, so no point in that. My new 30-NC wood stove earlier in the year was $650, a needed appliance, heats the house and will pay for itself. A smoker grill? I love BBQ, but... cough... I may just get a Brinkmann like my brother did.

www.amazingribs.com has a good review on ppq pellet grills and pricing...

Yah, the cost of pellet grills is insane. I do not see why there are not cheaper models out there. The Brinkmann is about as cheap as you can get for reasonable quality at $500. From thre it goes up, up and more up in price. The same size Brinkmann with a wood smoker pot instead of a pellet feeder is only $150. The small Jr. Traegers are $400 but the newer ones are Chicom crap. Fast Eddy grills start at $2,500 and go up from there. I want the Fast Eddy cook shack smoker, but that is $4,000. So that is not gonna happen...

The pellet grill I am considering now is the Louisianna Grill CS-450, but that is a $grand$. So that will likely not happen either. On CL here people want near new prices for their pellet BBQ grills, so no point in that. My new 30-NC wood stove earlier in the year was $650, a needed appliance, heats the house and will pay for itself. A smoker grill? I love BBQ, but... cough... I may just get a Brinkmann like my brother did.

www.amazingribs.com has a good review on ppq pellet grills and pricing...

Traeger has awesome customer service, they over night parts to repair my grill no questions asked... great warranty great customer service..

Traeger has awesome customer service, they over night parts to repair my grill no questions asked... great warranty great customer service..

Yah, but seriously... their new grills? The quality is no longer there. Thin steel, cheap welds (where they have welds, which are few), cheap fitting upgrade racks and stuff. They moved all manufacturing from here in Oregon offshore to China and they sell them in big box stores like Costco. They also have warranty requirements that owners only use their pellets, and that all sellers of their stoves sell only their brand of pellets. Both are being challanged in court. My brother's Brinkmann has better steel, better welds (compared side by side to the Traeger), a better powder coat and they come with more features for less money. Louisianna Grills kick their azz with way better quality for the same money. There are better pellets out there as well, for less money. I buy competition grade 100% wood pellets for $10 a bag, $6 less than Traeger wants for lower quality blended wood pellets.

My opinion only, I do not represent, work for or sell for any grill company. I juz likes BBQ.

Reactions: smoke show
We have had alot of people buy gmg grills from us who have owned or still own Traeger grills and said that they have gone down hill pretty quick ( i have always worked on and sold GMG so would not know just repeating what i have been told)

Check out AM/FM looks like Andy may be pre selling the rebuilt ones.

Its just a "Pre Sale". They are new units.

Only sold through him. Until HD can get there grimacing hands on them :(

Looks to be a solid unit. Direct heating and large capacity.

From my understanding Traeger pellets are just 'treated' for flavor like hickory or mesquite etc and are aspen based I believe. I buy and get much more heat out of pellets that are real hickory mesquite or whatever else or at least the majority is the wood of choice.

From my understanding Traeger pellets are just 'treated' for flavor like hickory or mesquite etc and are aspen based I believe. I buy and get much more heat out of pellets that are real hickory mesquite or whatever else or at least the majority is the wood of choice.

Most bbq pellet manufactures use a base wood like oak or alder and then add the flavor wood in. Traeger uses alder so you might get 80% aler sawdust and 20% hickory. There are some companies that make 100% flavor woods. A groupof us wen in on a ton of Lumber Jack pellets they have 100% hickory 100% Maple 100% cherry.

Status
Not open for further replies.