englander pellet stove 1st fire and it is smoking

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rugbylaw1

Feb 5, 2011
eastern PA
hi,

I just installed an Englander 25-PDV model Pellet stove. when i first started it with pellets after the "dry-run" it started to smoke out of thetop of the door, the vents on the top surface of the stove and a little bit on the back, but not at the flue port. I read that you have to cure the stove but the smoke seemed excessive. I checked the flue for blockage and it is clear. it the stove malfunctioning? I am not getting any error codes. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

New stoves will stink and smoke for a while until the oils burn off and the paint cures. As long as it is only that paint/oil burning smell and not a wood burning smell I would not worry about it.
When I first fired up my Quad MT Vernon AE insert it filled the room with smoke and set off the smoke alarms. The dogs were going nuts attacking us. They have been trained to pretty much attack and wake us up when the smoke or CO alarms go off.

Formastertech that rock about your dogs being trained smoke alarms. Can you get my cats to do that.

I just wanted to add as a dealer of pellets stoves we try to burn off the stoves in our parking lot before putting the stoves into the customers house. It works well for us to not have the stove stinking up the customer's house and we make sure there are no issues w/ the stove.

mo burns said:
Formastertech that rock about your dogs being trained smoke alarms. Can you get my cats to do that.

I just wanted to add as a dealer of pellets stoves we try to burn off the stoves in our parking lot before putting the stoves into the customers house. It works well for us to not have the stove stinking up the customer's house and we make sure there are no issues w/ the stove.

Sounds like a dealer who has his act together.... a pre-burn is always a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.