Englander pvd25 Heat help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ribcage

Nov 9, 2014
Massachuse
So I have had a few issues with my stove here recently and have come here looking for answers. Thank you to everyone who responded! Now after new gaskets, vaccum switch and exhaust blower, I am finally up and running! However I am having issues controlling the heat, it was 11 degrees this am and I had the stove set at 3-6. Woke up and the house was at 59*. I evebtually set it to to 5 -7 to se if that will help. I went through 3/4 of s bag in 15 hours as well. Is there a better setting that I should put it on to warm up the house? I'm trying not to use oil if I do not have to. Also the last 3 setting are their original settings of 5-9-1. Thanks in advance for any help!

How's your insulation? Is the house sealed up pretty good? Are you using OAK? If not, these are things you may want to work on. In the meantime, if you want more heat, you need to turn the stove up. If the stove simply won't keep your house warm, perhaps its undersized or perhaps the layout of your house doesn't allow the warm air to circulate around well. You can help this with a few strategically placed fans.

How long have you had the stove? I know there are some places inside the heat Exchange that can get full of ash and can cause the stove to produce less heat.... How is the burn? Good flame? And are you getting more build up in the burn pot?

So I have had a few issues with my stove here recently and have come here looking for answers. Thank you to everyone who responded! Now after new gaskets, vaccum switch and exhaust blower, I am finally up and running! However I am having issues controlling the heat, it was 11 degrees this am and I had the stove set at 3-6. Woke up and the house was at 59*. I evebtually set it to to 5 -7 to se if that will help. I went through 3/4 of s bag in 15 hours as well. Is there a better setting that I should put it on to warm up the house? I'm trying not to use oil if I do not have to. Also the last 3 setting are their original settings of 5-9-1. Thanks in advance for any help!

You may have to turn it up. One thing I do when it drops below 20 is switch to lignetics or press to logs pellets..you can maybe find them at true value hard ware. also your bottom three setting should be 6 4 1 for the 25 pdv.

You can't let the house get cold, and then try to warm it up with a pellet stove... (for the most part)
It takes a long time.
more fuel=more heat. Crank that baby up ;)

Dan

Don't forget to check screen on your convection blower to. make sure its clear of any dust or pet hair! I clean mine every two weeks to be a safe!

House is insulated ....I have an ac in the window that I covered but an thinking that might be part of the issue as cold is still coming in and pellet stove is right there. I also called the englander company and they are the ones that suggested the 5-9-1.. Any idea of what would be the best setting for heat and blower rate? I'm currently at 4-6.. Thanks

I have the same stove and its a basement dweller in an unisulated concrete wall basement no less. I have been able to keep my stove at about 5-9 during the evening and overnight and the entire 1 level 1100sq/ft ranch stays about 60-62 at wake up. The nights where the temp dips below 20 I up it to about 6 or 7 on the heat and 9 on the blower. Right now I have the stove on 5-9 and the temp outside is 36 and the house is about 66.

I am not sure what pellets you are using, however I bought 3 tons of Green Supremes (Will never do that again) and I have been mixing with AWF white pine softwood pellets. I truly believe I learned my lesson that all pellets are not created equal.

I am currently running Corinth pellets( long story) but come January I will be using the brand that bought out englander. Last year the stove would get my house to a toasty 70 no problem, this year I did a bunch of maintenance and it seems to be slacking! So frustrated. I did move the lower 3 settings to what was recommended by someone here so hoping that works.

With the the temps you are stating, I would have to run 6-6 with my stove, more fuel = more heat, expect to burn 1.5-2 bags a day, still cheaper than oil so far.

As sated above don't let your house get cold, it takes forever to recover.
Denny

Thanks everyone! I had the heat set for 60 so the pellet stove started there. I'm setting it at 6-6 to have it work better! Appreciate everyone helping me out!

right now it mid 45 here in MI stove set at 2-9 and it's 71 in the home. Burning Indeck energy pellets mixed with PRO pellets has anyone used Indeck energy made In WI they seem to suck had to mix them.

Haven't tried the Indek this year, Seemed sort of Ashey last year. A friend of mine bought some this year says his house seems colder he may have to readjust his settings on his stove.

Ok so the house is at 74 which is nice but now there's this awful noise coming from the stove.. Almost like a drilling/sledge hammer noise every now and then. In using new pellets and am not sure if it could be that. I swear it's something new every week.. Any ideas?

when its that cold out you need to crank her up !

I can get away with running my PDV on 3-9 when the temp is around 25-30
anything below 25 I turn it a little bit....but I always run my blower on 9
they make 9 heat settings for a reason, more fuel more heat

You can't let the house get cold, and then try to warm it up with a pellet stove... (for the most part)
It takes a long time.
more fuel=more heat. Crank that baby up ;)

Dan

Yeah, what he said, that is the best advice i got this year with my stove (my first with it). I was ready to return it and do something else. No need, just need to crank it up and not let the house get cold. Check your insulation. An infrared camera will identify all your cold spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.