Englander pvd25 smoking HELP !!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wheredugo?

Feb 1, 2014
CT
Ok so this is my 5th season running my englander 25 freestanding stove and it's been perfectly fine up until the beginning of the of the season when I first started burning the stove I was getting a heavy exhaust smoke smell in my home I've been proceeded to replace all of the exhaust connections as well as exhaust gaskets blower combustion fan as well as any other gaskets minus the hopper a gasket I tried The incense trick last night and I'm still getting smoke coming from the exhaust side of the unit it appears it looks like it's leaking out of the exhaust fan motor is that possible ? also could be coming from between the hopper and the auger housing I do have a new gasket I can take out and replace that as well all gaskets on the exhaust side will be new at this point as well as new auger motors I do also have a augur motor plates I can replace but these typically don't fail. I'm stumped !!!! Please help !!!

The combustion blower motor/exhaust blower on these stoves has external fan blades, that may be giving you a bad impression as to where the leak is. I'd concentrate on finding it, rather than replacing gaskets everywhere at this point. You could try looking with a flashlight in the dark around those suspected areas.(with the unit in startup running mode) Smoke should be heaviest at early ignition phase, and will help you at that point to see the leak. I'd search carefully around the adapter area.

Ok so every gasket has been replaced on the exhaust side as well as the hopper to auger housing. I've been burning incense in the unit with it off and just looking for smoke. I also have a laser pointer that works well. It's still stinks like incense after all gaskets being replaced ;( could there be a crack in something ? Where else could this stove possibly be leaking from ?

Check the
Ok so every gasket has been replaced on the exhaust side as well as the hopper to auger housing. I've been burning incense in the unit with it off and just looking for smoke. I also have a laser pointer that works well. It's still stinks like incense after all gaskets being replaced ;( could there be a crack in something ? Where else could this stove possibly be leaking from ?

Check the vent pipe coming out the back and through the wall. Caulk around the joints and use foil high temp tape around them! Good Luck!

All joints have been sealed with 750 degree silicone and everything from the stove out to the tee is brand new.......

the incense is a good idea but will always leak from the exhaust blower. It comes out of the spot where the motor shaft enters the housing. I've been told this is not a problem when then unit is actually operating since that spot is sucking in air. With the unit off its a different story.
Check for leaks during start up, in a dark room with a strong flashlight. The flashlight really highlights the smoke that leaks out and will show you exactly where its coming from.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: h2ochild
O
the incense is a good idea but will always leak from the exhaust blower. It comes out of the spot where the motor shaft enters the housing. I've been told this is not a problem when then unit is actually operating since that spot is sucking in air. With the unit off its a different story.
Check for leaks during start up, in a dark room with a strong flashlight. The flashlight really highlights the smoke that leaks out and will show you exactly where its coming from.

Hope this helps.
ok I'll give it a shot !

How is the stove vented from the exhaust to the outside?

You say you sealed the pipe.. it is possible that one joint didnt seal completely. So dont rule out the pipe joints. Check them closely.

Dont ask how i know this :-/

Pellet stoves are not air tight units. They make a lot of smoke at start up. If the exhaust blades are really dirty, they can have a hard time evacuating the heavy smoke. Have you taken the exhaust blower out of the stove and cleaned it? I have heard of exhaust blades being half corroded off after not being cleaned for a few years.

Reactions: Cedarjunki
Status
Not open for further replies.