englander set up question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chevydmax2002

Dec 23, 2007
CT.
I bought a 30 NCH wood stove. I took the pedistal off and now want to put on the legs. One of the carriage bolts is stripped. I went to HD to buy a new one. My question that HD was unable to answer is- Are the bolts special heat treated bolts or regular steel/zinc bolts that hd sells?

Regular steel will do it just fine. It just keeps the leg from moving. After you sit that 455 pounds down on the legs, it ain't going anywhere and there is no stress on the retaining bolt.

BrotherBart said:
Regular steel will do it just fine. It just keeps the leg from moving. After you sit that 455 pounds down on the legs, it ain't going anywhere and there is no stress on the retaining bolt.

Unless you have dog with a little Mississippi blood hound in him like mine. That leg will have a lot of stress on it. I heard somewhere its best just to let hime finish once he starts.

I had the same problem with all four of my bolts. I believe it was the left over slag that got into the threads. I just replaced them with regular carriage bolts. Its worked fine since.

Status
Not open for further replies.