Englander Size For Basement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zanp

Dec 4, 2007
Asheville NC
I am in the process of insulating my block wall basement with 2-inch rigid foam and replacing the old Fisher stove with an Englander stove. I live in a log cabin and heat the upstairs with a Regency insert.

The sq footage of my insulated basement will be 750 - 800 sq ft (open floor plan). Will the 2200 sq ft Englander heat me out of the basement?

Are you also trying to heat the rest of the house or just the basement? If so, what is the size of the house and how will the heat be getting upstairs? Is there a large open stairway to the 1st floor?

Which Englander model are you referring to?

I run the Regency 24/7 upstairs and plan to run the Englander in the basement more on an as needed basis. On colder days, I would hope some heat from the basement makes it upstairs but I am not counting on this. There is a large open stairway to the 1st floor and I could open the door on cold days for the extra heat. My log cabin is 1600 sq ft above the basement.

The models I am looking at are the 30-NC or the 13-NC.

We have a similar size house, and have a 30-NC in the upstairs (nothing in the basement). About 750+ sq ft. Since we burn almost entirely pine, I can't tell you how much hotter the hardwood would be; but we have NO danger of being cold. It's been a great stove for us, and looking forward to putting it in a bigger house someday so we can really fire it up. I will say that using it in our 12X60 singlewide was overkill... We actually bought the 13NC first, but exchanged it because A) it was not heating well (unusual, most folks have great luck) and B) we wanted a stove we'd not have to upgrade later, and C) wanted longer burn times. No regrets at all!

If you're only heating the 800 sq ft basement on an as needed basis, I'd think the 13 would be a better fit. OTOH, you could go with the 30 and get the benefits of its larger box, and throttle down your insert upstairs...

Status
Not open for further replies.