Englander Stove 10-CPM

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mpritchard

Dec 13, 2014
New York
We have an Englander 10-CPM that is about three years old. The stove ignites and feeds properly and maintains a nice fire but the convection blower doesn't come on the way it is supposed to. Some days it works fine, and other days the stove fires up and the blower never turns on. Without the blower running it doesn't push very much heat. The blower motor itself if fine. I took it apart and cleaned it and tested it. It runs the way it's supposed to. We have tried calling the technical hotline in the manual and the number doesn't work. Anybody have any ideas?

It might be that my good buddy ash is stopping the sensor from seeing the stove is up to temperature for turning on the convection blower.

Locate the temperature sensor, if it isn't in good contact with what it is supposed to be attached to or the area behind where it is attached is playing host to my good buddy ash, it may not get to see that fact that the stove is hot enough.

I would check the sensor connections first. I would think if the sensor and connections are ok and the motor is ok then after that I might suspect the board. I'm sure somebody with more experience and who has that stove will respond soon. Wouldn't hurt to take temp readings where the sensor attaches also.

I'm not sure what the sensor looks like or where to find it, but i suspect this is the problem. Anybody have experience with this stove that could point me in the right direction?

I'm not sure what the sensor looks like or where to find it, but i suspect this is the problem. Anybody have experience with this stove that could point me in the right direction?

Exploded parts diagram in the manual might help.

ETA: Page 25 in the installation manual shows where it connects to the controller and says the sensor is on the left side of the fire box.

Last edited:
Found it connected to the back of the exhaust blower. Took it off and cleaned it. Wasn't really dirty at all and had no ash build up. Connected it nice and tight. Is way to hot to hold your hand to while the stove is running so it seems temperature is fine. Room blower still isn't going on next start up though. Is it possible that these sensors can malfunction or is a malfunction of the control board? I've been looking on google buy a replacement sensor and I can't find one.

Found it connected to the back of the exhaust blower. Took it off and cleaned it. Wasn't really dirty at all and had no ash build up. Connected it nice and tight. Is way to hot to hold your hand to while the stove is running so it seems temperature is fine. Room blower still isn't going on next start up though. Is it possible that these sensors can malfunction or is a malfunction of the control board? I've been looking on google buy a replacement sensor and I can't find one.

Does it go into the exhaust air stream or against the exhaust blowers cowling? If it is against the cowling the ash would be inside the exhaust blower cowling. The manual indicates it goes to the left side of the firebox.

All parts can malfunction there is a control board test that can look at various items in the stove, visit England Stove Works website to find out if there is a procedure for your stove.

http://www.heatredefined.com/faq/troubleshooting-guide/multi-fuel-troubleshooting

I just confirmed where that sensor goes, I'd be very tempted to clean behind where the sensor is machine screwed that you can't see, that is inside the exhaust pathway behind where the sensor mounts.

I took the exhaust apart and cleaned that spot just now. It may have helped. The blower came on after startup like it is supposed to. I had to leave for the night hopefully it keeps running

Let us know and my good buddy ash is the cause of more than 80% of the problems with pellet stoves.

I just love preaching from the Pellet Stove Cleaners holy book. Not really but what the hey?

Reactions: slvrblkk
Status
Not open for further replies.