Englander Stove Settings Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sydney1963

Oct 4, 2008
Windham Maine
OK, here is what I am finding out. The stove factory settings (3 bottom buttons) are set at 6-4-1. With milder temps at night 29-35 degrees. I adjusted mine to 5-3-1 and not as many pellets were sent to the burn pot and the flame is less intense, also have it set for 1 feed and 2 blower. Much more managable at keeping your house at 68-75 degrees. I would say if you keep your first two numbers (6-4-1) within 2 you can regulate the burn rate and keep your home more comfortable. I haven't noticed any difference in how dirty the glass is. Maybe when it gets colder will have to up the numbers again. Remember NEVER TOUCH THE LAST NUMBER! Let me know what you think.

Well I have mine set at 5 5 1 and the restrictor plate in the hopper about half open. This seems to work really well for me when the nights aren't that chilly and I set the controls at 1 3 . When I get home from work I'll set the stove at 5 7 and really warm the place up. Then turn it down to 1 3 when the nights aren't that chilly.I think the settings are a matter of preference and pellet quality but having the ability to change the settings to adapt to varying circumstance is great.I have the same stove as you and love it. I will always burn pellets . Good for America to shun the yoke of foreign oil patronize the companies who don't import it.

Packerfan from frozen tundra do you have flame at LFF 3? I tried LFF 4 flame would actually die down to glowing pellets while waiting for more pellets to enter the burn pot, stove did not shut off but I was leary of the no flame lapse.

My LFF is also on 3. This setting will differ with different brands of pellets, and the variations in the stoves and their components. Just like us, no 2 are exactly the same.

With the numbers set on 5-3-1 all night last night, woke up to a nice 70 degrees this morning. Glass did seem slightly dirtier but I can live with that for now.

sydney1963 said:
With the numbers set on 5-3-1 all night last night, woke up to a nice 70 degrees this morning. Glass did seem slightly dirtier but I can live with that for now.

You can try increasing the LBA to get a more complete burn, which in theory should create less soot.

I'm going to try 5-5-1 to see if I get a cleaner burn.

I think I found the best settings finally for temps outside at 35-38* but have a question. I have the 3 bottom buttons set at 4-6-1 and it's keepin the temp inside at 72.5*, perfect. The question I have is, with the pellet rate slowed to 4 I get a little puff of smoke coming out of the vent pipe every so often (outside) because fire dies down and pellets are smoldering before new pellets get to the burn pot. Is this ok? Don't smell anything in the house. Would like to know your experiences. Thanks

How long have you been burning at these settings? I don't see a real problem however you may have a marginal condition-inconsistency of pellet feed or burn rate may cause your stove to go out. If this happens either raise the feed or lower the air. If it were my stove I would try to 4-5-1.

I like to run my stove on a minimal setting 1-1 and usually have to readjust the low air and low feed when I change pellet brands.

Have only been burning at this setting since this morning. I will try your suggestion of 4-5-1 and see how that goes. I'll let you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.