Englander Stove shutting off in the middle of the night....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geek

Minister of Fire
Feb 28, 2008
Central CT
Couple nights ago I thought this happened due to a lack of pellets from sliding down in the hopper and the auger "thinking" it ran out of pellets.
Well, this happened again last night, woke up at 5AM today and didn't hear stove (bedroom on 2nd floor, stove first floor).
Went downstairs and sure enough it was off completely, checked the hopper and there's plenty of pellets including in the center hole, spread pellets evenly, cleaned burn pot well and then fired it up.

Left stove in "S U" mode according to the control board (Start UP).
Went back upstairs and after a few minutes (I guess after the 15/20 minutes start up mode) and did NOT hear stove.
Went and checked again, the control board read "E 0" which means "No Error" per manual.

WTF, I then hit on the "ON" button again (as I had in the first try), but this time I increased the Heat Range to 5 and Blower Speed to 8 (I had it at 1 and 3 for days), watched the start up cycle and now the stove has been running for about 3 hours just fine.

Englander 25-PDV.

Am I missing something here? This happened twice in consecutive days and stove worked fine during the day yesterday.
Stove installed per the manual with outside air intake and a 3' rise outside.

Please help...

Is the adjustable plate at the bottom of the hopper adjusted so the hole is smallest? The same thing happened to mine and I opened the feed hole all the way ...problem solved. I'm guessing I had some bags that had longer pellets than others, and they wouldn't drop down to the auger.

Tailrace said:
Is the adjustable plate at the bottom of the hopper adjusted so the hole is smallest? The same thing happened to mine and I opened the feed hole all the way ...problem solved. I'm guessing I had some bags that had longer pellets than others, and they wouldn't drop down to the auger.

I didn't know there's a plate at the bottom of the hopper that could be adjusted.......
Are you saying I need to reach out inside the hole and move a plate?

I'll check in a couple hours when the pellets level will be very low.

In the bottom of the hopper in my 25PDVC there is a plate that lets you adjust the size of the opening that the pellets fall through. When I started out burning this season the pellets I bought were on the small side, so I adjusted the opening to it's smallest dimension. Towards the end of my first ton my stove would shut down just like yours is doing. I realized that the pellets were bigger than what I had started with, so I adjusted the plate so the opening was the biggest and it's been going like a champ ever since. One thing to make sure of though...don't overtighten the screw that holds the plate in place, just snug it! Breaking that off would be a bad thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.