Englander Stove, Too Simple in Complex World

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

starfoxACEFOX

Jan 3, 2014
Fort Collins, CO
Hi everyone at Hearth Forum.

I'm Foxler and owner of a 2011 Englander 25-PDVC. I must say doing install and setup is a lot of work, but what made it harder was getting it to work. Since I've installed my stove 2 months ago. It never seem to work right, wouldn't start sometimes or burn it's self out. No matter what setting I used from factory 6.4.1 or 4.4.1, even 6.9.1 (Englnader Tech said so). Wouldn't work right, even changing heat mode from A to d. I was about to pull out my fur and kicking the stove didn't do much, but make my stove pipe fall from the ceiling.

I did spent more than few phone calls with Englnader with no help. Only ofter I got was spent money on replacement parts and hope it works. Here what I spec out for this stove, I used 15' Selkirk Direct Temp with their pellet kit. Pipe goes vertical through the roof (old fireplace). There no air leaks in pipe or intake so it should work one might hope. So what caught my eye on issue was, it was feeding to late. Fire was already out when it would drop pellets. I was thinking must be setting I'm missing. I try everything and some nights it would stay on all night, but when it got really cold. Take forever get it working so it can reach normal temp.

I started pulling stove apart, when I did I found nothing wrong. Motors, feeder, vacuum switch, temp, door seals and hoses were perfect. I did find inside my pipe, it was almost clogged. Only 2 month of use, look like bad end of sewage pipe. By this time I was going to buy new stove, this was wast of time, but I gave it one more try without any of the sensors and it work great. I was able to trim down my setting to 3.2.1/d. It would feed fire just before it would go out.

This what I found, look like the vacuum switch for the fire box only coming on after all fire gone and once fire kick up after loading it with massive pellets. It kick off right away. From my understand this not normal, so do I have a weak vacuum switch? Shouldn't switch only come off if fire box blower fails or door is open? As of now I have bypass only firebox switch and still running great.

Any help on this matter would be great. I must say this was a lot harder than hacking PayPal (banned in 2006)

Was it really that simple!!!??

Foxler

Last edited:
If you didn't use 4" pipe, you are over your EVL for 3" pipe which could be a part of your vacuum issue...maybe.....

the switch could have been dropping due to restriction in the flue pipe, what happens with vacuum is when the air flowing through the stove gets hotter it becomes less dense and therefore does not create as much vacuum pressure, now a restrictioon would slow the ir down a bit as well and the two combined could have been enough to allow the switch to drop when fire was higher and then as the fire dies back it pulls the switch again as air density picks back up.

have you tried running with the door switch wired back into the circuit since cleaning out that pipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.