englander stove up and running!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gavin

Nov 16, 2013
sault ontario
i finished installing my pellet stove today and got it fired up! what a pain in the butt! definitely not something the average home owner can do on there own and out in a blizzard -20 below with wind chill. i used the simpson dura vent pipes and i caulked and used a weatherproof foil tape on the joints with no leaks so far. i also bought a bag of premium michigan wood pellets and seems to be burning nicely. monday morning i'll be calling the inspector and then my home insurance company. once things warm up im going to cap the wood around the outside thimble and put a J mold around the siding to clean it up. anybody see any issues with that? and im also looking around to find some kind of stone to go on the back wall and then i'll build a mantle

Attachments

• pellet stove.JPG
    pellet stove.JPG
    181 KB · Views: 1,146
  • IMG_0978.JPG
    IMG_0978.JPG
    173.7 KB · Views: 328
Reactions: h2ochild
Congratulations,
Looks great, I'm sure you will be happy with the stove and their customer service if you have issues, mike the head tech at ESW is on this forum daily so if you have issues or questions post them here and I'm sure he will jump in.

I know you have to finish the outside, but by looking at your outside pics you need to seal up your thimble area with heat resistant silicone, It looks like a few gaps on this end. Enjoy and stay warm. Also it does not look like you have a surge protector on that stove get a good one asap ya never know.
Denny

i caulked the inside around pipe and the thimble, so i should caulk around the outside of the pipe and the thimble?
Never let the cold in, or you will have to burn like the devil to keep it out. Wish I could remember who made that quote.

i went out this evening and caulked around the pipe so now the thimble is sealed on both sides. you'd think there would be a better way like the pipe would lock into the thimble.

i went out this evening and caulked around the pipe so now the thimble is sealed on both sides. you'd think there would be a better way like the pipe would lock into the thimble.

Not that I know of, when you pull the stove out for cleaning and hook it back up the pipe will move slightly this may crack or undo the caulk job you did around the pipe just keep a eye on it., I'm sure you can use a tiny L bracket and attach it to the thimble with small sheet metal screws.. I did not do that yet.
Denny

Just a reminder, don't forget to get a surge protector today! Don't get a $5 cheapie either, get something good, I would try to stay away from those white inexpensive surge power strips also. But then again something is better than nothing.

Also when you get sick of dumping a 40lb bag in your hopper every 12 hours I would look into a hopper extension, (see my avatar) not the prettiest thing in the world but stops you worrying about waking up or coming home to a cold house.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1500-Pellet...162?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415f416baa

Last edited:
i finished installing my pellet stove today and got it fired up! what a pain in the butt! definitely not something the average home owner can do on there own and out in a blizzard -20 below with wind chill. i used the simpson dura vent pipes and i caulked and used a weatherproof foil tape on the joints with no leaks so far. i also bought a bag of premium michigan wood pellets and seems to be burning nicely. monday morning i'll be calling the inspector and then my home insurance company. once things warm up im going to cap the wood around the outside thimble and put a J mold around the siding to clean it up. anybody see any issues with that? and im also looking around to find some kind of stone to go on the back wall and then i'll build a mantle
Looks very nice, Gavin! What struck me most was the chill I got down my spine looking at the outside picture. Dam, it looks cold there :)

Dgopetactical you can like read my mind! i was just looking at them about 5min ago because i seen your avator and when the wife gets home i'll be talking to her about ordering the extension. i'm headed into town this afternoon and plan on getting the surge protector while im there and will pick up a skid of pellets. ive ran the stove for about 12hrs heating my house with -19c outside or 2F and i just checked the hopper and its down 3-4" from the lid so whats that around half a bag burned? it would be nice to set it and forget it. with the extension do you clean it out every couple days when you top it up or do you still clean it every day?

Looks very nice, Gavin! What struck me most was the chill I got down my spine looking at the outside picture. Dam, it looks cold there :)

it definitely looks like christmas today! we got a good 6" and she still coming down hard. i'm looking at the long term forecast and it doesn't look like its going to go above freezing anytime soon so i think winter is here to stay!

You can google them also but the ones on Amazon are made by the same guy on eBay, he is the only man in the world that I can find that makes them for our stove.

You will be happy with that investment. Track me down before you install it I can give u some good tips that are not in the directions.
Denny

Dgopetactical you can like read my mind! i was just looking at them about 5min ago because i seen your avator and when the wife gets home i'll be talking to her about ordering the extension. i'm headed into town this afternoon and plan on getting the surge protector while im there and will pick up a skid of pellets. ive ran the stove for about 12hrs heating my house with -19c outside or 2F and i just checked the hopper and its down 3-4" from the lid so whats that around half a bag burned? it would be nice to set it and forget it. with the extension do you clean it out every couple days when you top it up or do you still clean it every day?

I do a (shutdown) vacuum twice a week ( vac out fire box and clean behind plate and passageways with small hose hooked to my shop vac.

Every day sometimes twice I open the door while it's burning and take a spatula and take out the excess ash and dump it to the side, the I do a quick wipe down of inside glass with a DRY paper towel, takes about 30 seconds or less.

After every ton or so I do a better cleaning, sweep exhaust pipe, leaf blower trick etc if I'm not too lazy.

After

Then of course the yearly teardown and total cleaning etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.