Englander Stove: what is this tiny hole?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cdean68

Nov 24, 2013
connecticut
On phone with Englander troubleshooting my problem as stove has been shutting down. The tech tells me to open the door, look at the baffle or impingement plate positioned behind the burn area. He says there are 4 tabs at the bottom of plate, 2 pointing up and 2 down. Beneath the tab farthest to the right about 3/4 of an inch below is a tiny hole. He told me to find a toothpick and make sure the hole is not filled with ash. I did it, cleaned that stove a hundred times never saw it before. Cleaning it out seems to have solved my stove shutting down problem. Does anyone know if this hole is related to the thermal sensor or the vaccum switch? What is this hole for and why isnt it mentioned anywhere in the manual or cleaning guides? Ive been up every two hrs restarting my stove to stay warm for days. Blows my mind that everything I did to fix it didnt help but one pass with a toothpick and problem appears solved. So now curious about why the hole needs to remain clear and what function it serves. Anybody?

Do you mean the vacuum switch hole pictured on page 18 of the manual?

"NOTE: The "door ajar" vacuum switch port must be kept clean, or the top auger will cease to function.
Locate the port hole to the right of the burn pot and, with the stove unplugged and cooled down, use a
brush or pipe cleaner (not a vacuum) to keep this port clear of ash or other debris (see picture). "

Reactions: slvrblkk
thank you and yes. not sure how i missed that in the manual. must have went right over my head because i never saw a hole there. so small. went through a lot to troubleshoot this one and it was such a simple fix afterall. probably didnt need to replace the switch or the vac hose but all good. now i know and house is warming up!!! just in time for holiday.

Just make sure you never suck the hole with a vacuum cleaner, it might screw up the vacuum switch and cause issues. Stick to the toothpick.

Status
Not open for further replies.