Englander stove with lazy flame andpot filling to fast and not burning.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tell us all about the stove's vent system, the last time the stove was completely cleaned, the amount of pellets burned since that cleaning, and how you cleaned the stove.

Yes we are very nosy on here.

Lazy flame is a sign of a dirty stove and vent system.

It all started after i saw some corn that was mixed in with the pellets.If i remember right corn burns very dirty it left a heavy black ash on the inside.I burned 4 ton so far clean it every 10 to 15 bags.It was running fine until that corn went threw then it started acting up.

Pitbull73 said:
It all started after i saw some corn that was mixed in with the pellets.If i remember right corn burns very dirty it left a heavy black ash on the inside.I burned 4 ton so far clean it every 10 to 15 bags.It was running fine until that corn went threw then it started acting up.

Corn isn't all that dirty if the stove is properly set to burn it and a little bit of corn isn't going to be a problem.

At 4 ton you should have pulled and cleaned the combustion blower no less than twice, the venting should have been completely cleaned at least twice, your internal exhaust paths are likely plugged.

By cleaning the venting I mean running a vent brush through and also cleaning the termination cap screen.

I think your stove needs a full annual go over, but that's just me.

That is what mine is doing now also. I am still getting good heat out of it. But I notice the ash is building up more in the burn pot and not into the ash can. Thanks Smokey. Guess I will be ordering gaskets next week.

To Pitbull and Ed S, sounds like both stoves need a COMPLETE cleaning....not just the firebox. Heat exchangers, blowers removed & cleaned, the entire exhaust system, etc, etc.

Lazy flames and/or ash buildup is a sure sign that something in the airflow through the stove is blocked. OAK should also be checked for possible blockage.

Yes, this is why I have to order gaskets this week. I know the previous owner did not care for the stove well. When I took the room air blower apart you could not even see the vains to the fan. I can only imagine what the exhaust blower looks like since I have never had a gasket to take it apart and clean it.

I too was having this problem with my pdvc.
A call to Englander fixed the issue.
The heat exchanger is most likely plugged.
You need to tape a piece of garden hose to your shop vac, and get in behind the
Impingement plate.
On the left side of the lower shelf you
Will feel a gap, or hole. This is the exhaust
Path. Take your garden hose vac, and shove it in there. It should go in
About 6 inches, this is where you need to vacuum.
Also you should be vacuuming out the firebox, and burn pot everyday on
This stove. I would also do the full cleaning, but start here and let us know
How this works.

clean the system, especially the exhaust pipe (ALL THE WAY THRU!) and combustion fan.

If your damper has manual control, it's easily a lazy-flame-maker if not open far enough. But you'd probably notice that.

arnash said:
If your damper has manual control, it's easily a lazy-flame-maker if not open far enough. But you'd probably notice that.

Englander stoves do not have a manual air draft control....everything is done w/ the control panel.

And besides, the OP hasn't given us any indication of what model or date of manufacture of the stove yet.

I would also check to see if the stove is in the correct control mode. A few years back I had an issue with pellets feeding so fast the fire couldn't keep up. This caused smoking, incomplete combustion and blackened pellets being pushed out of the burn pot. I or my son had accidentally changed the buttons when cleaning the side of the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.