Englander Stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gangsplatt

Mar 26, 2008
Plattsburgh, NY
Looking at purchasing an Englander FC-24 that's never been used and has been sitting in a coworkers shed for the past couple of years. Went to look at the stove and its in great condition. Can get that stove for $500 which I feel is a good deal

However, I've come across the 50-TNC30L-Non-cat on Overstockstoves.com for $799.99.

I'm not sure of the FC-24 specs but it appears (based on the overstockstoves.com website) that the TNC30L is rated to heat 2200 sq. feet. I'm looking to replace my Fisher Mamabear that sits in my basement and does a good job of keeping my ground floor warm. i see the FC-24 has a catalytic combuster which is a costly item to replace.

Wondering what stove what be the best option for putting out the most heat and a decent burn time of at least 8 hours preferrably more. (Basically, which stove would you buy, based on these factors?)

I have never had a 24-FC but always wanted to give one a try. I have the 30-NC and it tosses a ton of heat and with good hardwood does overnight burns without a problem.

I personally think with the newer stoves that over time if you have to replace baffle panels and/or some of the burn tubes that maintenance is going to cost about the same as cat replacements.

Edit: Here are the specs for the 24. About halfway down the document.

http://englanderstoves.com/manuals/SpecificationsForESWUnits.pdf

Anything specific intrigue you about the 24 as to make you want to try it?

I have just always wanted to try out a cat stove. Never had one. But the 24 wouldn't fit where I need a stove.

gangsplatt said:
Looking at purchasing an Englander FC-24 that's never been used and has been sitting in a coworkers shed for the past couple of years. Went to look at the stove and its in great condition. Can get that stove for $500 which I feel is a good deal

However, I've come across the 50-TNC30L-Non-cat on Overstockstoves.com for $799.99.

I'm not sure of the FC-24 specs but it appears (based on the overstockstoves.com website) that the TNC30L is rated to heat 2200 sq. feet. I'm looking to replace my Fisher Mamabear that sits in my basement and does a good job of keeping my ground floor warm. i see the FC-24 has a catalytic combuster which is a costly item to replace.

Wondering what stove what be the best option for putting out the most heat and a decent burn time of at least 8 hours preferrably more. (Basically, which stove would you buy, based on these factors?)

I bought for my Dad an Englander for a steal for 449 at Lowes this year, last one at 50% off! It does through a lot of heat so much that I don't think my Dad will need a blower for his smaller cabin. It is worth every penny even at 799.00. Plus the options to make it a little nicer looking are a hell of a lot cheaper than say PE or Avalon, maybe the quality is a little less but not that much in my book. Go for the Englander and you will happy for a long time

I think cat stoves are great. But..I know they aren't for everyone. If you just want to put wood in, light it and not think about it, you're probably not a cat person. If you don't mind a 2 step process where you need to stay in touch for 15 20 mins when you light it, then a cat could be good for you. I think if you are a bit analytical, somewhat detail oriented, a cat ultimately works better and gives you longer burns and greater variability, but if that is not you, then never mind. PS, never really heard a member here complain about Englanders, they all seem to have good things to say.

Can only comment on the Englander product I currently run....the 13NC. Great stove! Throws tons of heat, works well, easy to operate (even though its a non cat, I still tend it for the first 15-20 min anyways....guess I'm analytical and detail oriented by nature then ;-) ).

Point is, from my personal experience and from what I've read around this site, Englander products as a whole may not be the most ornate, but look nice and work well....and that's exactly what I wanted. Best of luck in your decision.

What kind of burn time do you get with the 13? Also approx how much square footage are you heating?

I also have the 13 installed in a 1250 sf single level home. I get between 6 and 8 hours of burn time with coals left over to start another fire; it really depends on what kind of wood you use. I use well seasoned oak or locust to get the longer burns.

My house is very well insulated and an open design. It really does throw the heat for a smallish stove! You can't really beat it for the price! Especially if you find one on special. I paid full price at Home Depot and I still feel like I got a deal. It does what it's supposed to do and is now my primary source of heat in the heating months.

I can't say enough good things of my Englander!

Hunter

gangsplatt said:

how big an area are you looking to heat , the 24-fc is a radient heater which was rated at up to 1600 sqft, the 30-nc is rated at up to 2200. they would both give you more than 8 hours burn time. the only bad thing in my opinion with the 24-fc is that there is no option for mounting a blower. with the 30 it is an option , but the FC did not have that option, we built a 24-acd which did have the blower built in so if the unit you are looking at has header pipes built into the step up then its an acd not an fc and carried a 2200 sq ft rating just like the 30 , i personally burned one for 12 years as a primary heat source (the acd) and flat out loved it!

feel free to hit me up for questions on either model im quite familiar with both

blel said:
What kind of burn time do you get with the 13? Also approx how much square footage are you heating?

I get the same burn times as Hunter 6-8 hrs on well seasoned oak. My sq footage is a little smaller at 960 but is well insulated as well.. The 13 is designed to heat up to 1500 sq ft. I probably could of gotten by with the 12, but I figured with the 13 it wouldn't have to work as hard on those -20F Maine nights.

Again, I couldn't be happier with this little heat pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.