Englander Summers Heat 25-PDVC "operating temps?"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clincker

Feb 10, 2009
Northern MN
I have been reading past threads and have noticed operating temps have been measured with meat thermometer hanging in front of stove - to measure temperature of the air that the stove is blowing. I have noted that people are reporting up to 250 degree temps - under what conditions? Burn Levels? I usually don't burn above 5-5 because it does not seem to throw much more heat in the higher settings, just eats more pellets. Usually temps blowing in front of stove are 140-160 and thermometer is always in same place, the hottest part. I would sure like to get more heat out of my stove if I could. More information for comparisons would be helpful.

Burning Lignetics, I have mine running on a thermostat, set on 4-9 and currently the stove is in low burn, (pretty much has been all day) with the Low Burn Settings 3-7-1 . I am getting 130 degrees. When the stat kicks the stove to burn at the heat setting of 4, I get temps of 180. If it were on 5, I get 220. I don't burn on anything higher than 5.

Call tech support and have them walk you through reprogramming your stove to burn on the high rate, I think they called it C mode. In this mode my lower buttons are 5-3-1, I use an infared thermometer on the upper left corner of the stove and when on 9-9 I get over 500 deg temps on the stove. I'm still experimenting but so far Cubex pellets have been the hottest at 515 deg. the only ones below 500 so far were a bag of early manufacture Athens pellets. I gained 10 to 15 deg by lowering the air from 4 to 3.

I hope I'm not hurting my stove, but this thing really cranks now compared to the way it came set up new.

Clincker said:
I have been reading past threads and have noticed operating temps have been measured with meat thermometer hanging in front of stove - to measure temperature of the air that the stove is blowing. I have noted that people are reporting up to 250 degree temps - under what conditions? Burn Levels? I usually don't burn above 5-5 because it does not seem to throw much more heat in the higher settings, just eats more pellets. Usually temps blowing in front of stove are 140-160 and thermometer is always in same place, the hottest part. I would sure like to get more heat out of my stove if I could. More information for comparisons would be helpful.

Well if its any consolation, I experience almost identical temps. I don't think I have ever seen higher then 180F. I also use a magnet grill temp gage. It stuck to the vertical slots on the left corner above the door.

Currently on 3,3 I am running at 170F. I also never run above 5,5

Temperature showing on the laser reader is 1 1/2 hours or so after re-start this morning, stove is set to '1 1'. I've seen temperatures over 300° on '2 2'. We never turn it up past this point, so it only gets to '5 5' on start-up. The readings I'm taking are with the pointer into the left side of the air-outlet , burning Lignetics pellets. The bottom 3 buttons are at factory settings '6 4 1'.

Attachments

• 100_1349.jpg
    100_1349.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 460
Is this one of those laser pointer thermometer things? Does this measure the air, or the surface of the stove?

Orange Crush CJ-7 said:
Is this one of those laser pointer thermometer things? Does this measure the air, or the surface of the stove?
Yes, it's called a 'Temperature Reader with Digital Display and Laser Pointer'. It measures the surface temperature of the area 'targeted' by the laser beam. This would be about 1" circumference at a distance of under 2'.

I'm assuming I'm measuring the temperature of the steel inside the grille opening, or maybe the grille itself. Moving the pointer across the grille varies the temperature by a few degrees, if you stay within the left side of the opening or to the left of the baffle. Moving to the far right, it changes to about 230°.

I picked this little baby up on sale for under $20.00. I can amuse myself during TV commercials sitting on the sofa and watching the temperature of the stove. It should come in handy working on the car to check engine temperatures, and on the bar-B-que too.

I disconnected the OAK on a basement install. There was a very strong breeze coming through OAK. Note that I have basement install and manual said to increase OAK to 3" and all that I could find was 4" dryer vent. Guess what, I think there is such a thing as too much air! My stove runs much better/hotter, about 20-25 degrees, without OAK. I will keep an eye on it too make sure, but no other changes and its running hotter, immediate improvement within 5 minutes. Anyone got ideas about this?

your combustion air is now preheated. you aren't drawing cold outside air into your stove anymore.

Also, have you noticed if the rest of your house is cooler/draftier?

I have an idea about this. OAK has a strong breeze coming in, enough to blow out a bic lighter at 10 inches away. That combined with the draw of exhaust fan moves too much air through the stove. The heat exchangers don't have enough time to extract heat because too much air is moving through stove resulting in heat going out the chimney. I think the idea of the OAK is too let the stove draw outside air - not have it forced in. I removed OAK and stove temps increased. I understand that the stove may try to draw in air through the house making cold drafts so I downsized the OAK and put a damper in to restrict the breeze coming in. Stove runs better. Any thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.