Englander/Summers Heat/TimberRidge (ESW) Pellet Stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stayfitz

Feeling the Heat
Sep 28, 2012
Reno, NV
I'm trying to research the differences between current ESW models. Maybe someone can help me fill-in the blanks? Thank you!

PAH = Top feeder, single auger motor, 120 lbs hopper, 250 CFM blower, external thermostat capable, ash drawer, 1.6 lbs to 4 lbs per hour

IP = Top feeder, single auger motor, 80 lbs hopper, 250 CFM blower, external thermostat capable, ash drawer, 2.08 lbs to 5.172 lbs per hour

PDV = Bottom feeder, dual auger motor, 60 lbs hopper, 250 CFM blower, feed rate range?

PDVC = Bottom feeder, dual auger motor, 40 lbs hopper, 140 CFM blower, feed rate range?

EP = Top feeder, single auger motor, 45 lbs hopper, 140 CFM blower, external thermostat capable, ash drawer, 1.6 lbs to 3.9 lbs per hour

CPM (multifuel) = Top feeder, firepot agitator & motor/chain?, single auger motor?, 50 lbs hopper, 250 CFM blower, external thermostat capable, ash drawer, feed rate range?

What about the heat exchanger(s)? What are the similarities? Is EP the only unit with a "formal" heat exchanger?

If Mike does not chime in give Englander a call or start downloading manuals:)

If Mike does not chime in give Englander a call or start downloading manuals:)

Looking forward to Mike's feedback! I reviewed the manuals for most of the posted info. However, there doesn't seem to be clear detail regarding heat exchangers

I have the CPM. It's been pretty good for me, carried the majority of the heating load for a 2400 sq ft colonial for three winters. I've burned pellets only so far, although I'm going to try a corn mix this winter.

It has a single auger. The burn pot agitator is driven by a motor, which is connected by a chain. I'm not sure the feed rate range, but I believe it's rated for 52K BTU, which makes it one of their biggest stoves. On a cold day I can burn over 80 lbs of pellets in a 24 hour period.

Hello

I have rebuilt the 25-PDV and 25-PDVC stoves. They are very rugged with their double cast iron bottom feed type augers with super size auger bearings.

Yesterday I just picked up a 25-EP to tinker with. Puts out tremendous heat for it's size and the only top feeder with a Direct Drive auger! That means No Auger Bearing to wear or get dirty!

See pic

Click to Enlarge:

Attachments

• IMG_1039.JPG
    IMG_1039.JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 533
feed rates on the PDVC and PDV are approximately 1.8 to 4.5 lbs/hr for the PDVC and about 1.8 to 5 lbs /hr for the PDV

CPM feed rates vary depending on the fuel settings of the unit (corn and cherry pits are smaller and more dense so their "volume to weight" is kinda different , with pellets you would be looking at roughly 1.5 to a little over 5 lbs/hr

as for the heat exchanger question , the EP employs a traditional "tube type" heat exchange , where the rest of the units use a convection chamber type setup where air is circulated through baffled chambers surrounding or adjacent to the exhaust pathways

feed rates on the PDVC and PDV are approximately 1.8 to 4.5 lbs/hr for the PDVC and about 1.8 to 5 lbs /hr for the PDV

CPM feed rates vary depending on the fuel settings of the unit (corn and cherry pits are smaller and more dense so their "volume to weight" is kinda different , with pellets you would be looking at roughly 1.5 to a little over 5 lbs/hr

as for the heat exchanger question , the EP employs a traditional "tube type" heat exchange , where the rest of the units use a convection chamber type setup where air is circulated through baffled chambers surrounding or adjacent to the exhaust pathways

as for the agitator on the CPM the chain drive is connected to a drive motor which only drives the agitator , the feed auger has its own seperate drive motor as well so there are 2 drive motors in the unit

as for the agitator on the CPM the chain drive is connected to a drive motor which only drives the agitator , the feed auger has its own seperate drive motor as well so there are 2 drive motors in the unit

Thank you very much Mike! Do you have an opinion on heat exchanger effectiveness - tube/accordion type vs. convection chamber? Which stove has the potential to produce the greatest heat output vs. consumption - IP, CPM, or PDV (maybe EP - proportional)?

I have heard the 25-EP really puts out some heat. It has a 2,000 sq ft rating.

25 EP heats our bungalow quite nicely. I am very happy with it.

25 EP heats our bungalow quite nicely. I am very happy with it.

How do you like the direct drive auger motor? If there are too many fines in a bag of pellets does that cause aany jamming problems?

Thank you very much Mike! Do you have an opinion on heat exchanger effectiveness - tube/accordion type vs. convection chamber? Which stove has the potential to produce the greatest heat output vs. consumption - IP, CPM, or PDV (maybe EP - proportional)?

well, i dont really have a firm answer to that but IMHO the out ratio is relatively similar but the "presentation" of the output differs , for instance the EP has the tube type setup so the room air is concentrated into a smaller area and is moved by a smaller CFM blower so the temps coming out are actually the highest but the volume is much lower
OTOH take the PAH which is kinda the polar opposite , the air volume is way higher due to the bigger blower and more open heat exchanger but the air temp presents lower

its like two ways to do the same thing like to different routes to the same destination i guess.

Thanks again Mike! Trying to prepare for a potential 3rd pellet stove (basement). Venting could prove challenging...

well, if its going to be "outside the norm" maybe it would be a good idea to chat about it. you can call my service department and kick it around with me or one of my techs (thats kinda what im supposed to be doing anyway ) ;) number is 800-245-6489 im in the office until 5 eastern during the week if you want to give me a yell

My preference is for the exchanger channel for 3 reasons. THese stoves are quieter as there is less air friction (I think this is important as stoves are noisy enough anyway) and it circulates far more air over a larger area which is also good. THe 3rd reason is they are marginally easier to keep clean.

So for clarification, you prefer a stove type without formal corrugated/tube/accordion style heat exchanger?

How do you like the direct drive auger motor? If there are too many fines in a bag of pellets does that cause aany jamming problems?
I have not had any jamming problems. I did have a brand of pellet that were a little too long and bridged over the auger and did not feed down. I have been using Hamer Hot Ones since and not had a problem. They also have very few fines.

Yep. To me simple is best. THe reduced efficiency of the channel is counteracted by the lower exhaust output. The tube system was necessary when using using high volume/temp exhausts. THere is just no need for that anymore.

Thanks for the feedback!

I have not had any jamming problems. I did have a brand of pellet that were a little too long and bridged over the auger and did not feed down. I have been using Hamer Hot Ones since and not had a problem. They also have very few fines.

Thanks for the info, that is good news. :)

I just did a test fire with the 25-EP I picked up that had pellets sitting around in it. Stove fired up fine. It sure is a solid unit!

I like my 25EP just got done today shinning up the hopper walls to help with the pellet lag problem it seemed to have , pellets piled up around auger inlet , so time will tell. set on 1 it Keeps my 1700 sqft. home @ 70 outside temp between 35 to 40 degrees , dont think colder temps will be a problem either.

Status
Not open for further replies.