Englander Super 240 25-PUF Stove thoughts?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NHxj4x4

Jun 24, 2008
Keene, NH
Hey guys, 1st post! I'm looking to get rid of OIL this year, as there is no way that I can afford it this year with things the way that they are. I'm late to the pellet game already it seems and have been toiling away at finding a model that is right for me.

I was looking this morning and think that I may have found it. It's an Englander Super 25-PUF found here: http://www.englanderstoves.com/25-puf.html I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this specific model? A little background about what I am trying to heat:

1800sq ft home. Stove will be on lower level (not basement). I have 4 radiant vents in my ceiling that vent to the upstairs of the home. These work pretty well from my wood stove, so I am glad they are there. Not really what I would an open floor plan, but it should get upstairs I think.

Anyway, I won't bore you with more details. Any help at all would be great with this!

Thanks!

Todd

hi todd, welcome to the hearth,

as for the PUF, it should be able to handle your house based on what you posted ,and assuming you have at least average insulation for your climate. its a solid heater, and though its not what i would call a "parlor stove" (the hopper will hold up to 6 bags in a filling and can run for up to a week on low with that filling , or about 2.5 to 3 days on high ,you wont need high, trust me)

if you think of any particular questions about that unit or any other of our stoves , feel free to post, PM me, e mail me , or call my service dept 8-5 eastern .

Hey Mike, thanks for chiming in. The fact that there is a vendor rep online here is reassuring in itself. One question I do have is on the chimney itself, specifically the liner. I have an exsisting wood stove there, and a 6" standard pipe and chimney. Do I also need a liner for a pellet stove? I hear ya on the Parlor Stove bit, the wife (no offense) said that it looked like something that belongs in a basement =) But I'm not really going for looks here, I'm going for function. Dollars for dollars (which this is all about) it seems like the best value for what I need. Any input on the liner would be great.

Thanks,

Todd

you can direct connect at the thimble to a 6" chimney upp to 32 ft tall however to meet code the pipe in the room with the unit must be type "l" or "pl" pellet vent pipe. actually that is how my 25-pdvc is connected, does just fine.

as for the parlor stove comment , no offence taken. the stove "puf" stands for "pellet utility furnace" it wasnt built to be beautiful, it was built to heat. dont worry though, it'll look a lot prettier when you see that oil truck pass you by.

stoveguy2esw said:
you can direct connect at the thimble to a 6" chimney upp to 32 ft tall however to meet code the pipe in the room with the unit must be type "l" or "pl" pellet vent pipe. actually that is how my 25-pdvc is connected, does just fine.

as for the parlor stove comment , no offence taken. the stove "puf" stands for "pellet utility furnace" it wasnt built to be beautiful, it was built to heat. dont worry though, it'll look a lot prettier when you see that oil truck pass you by.

PERFECT! That just saved me $600. OK, so do you perhaps have a part # list that I could use for the thimble adapter and such, assuming ESW sells all that stuff? My chimney is roughly 25ft tall at this location, so I should be good with the adapter.

Also for a friend of mine that is also looking at this stove, but doesn't have a chimney at all, what would you suggest she does?

Thanks again man!

Todd

PERFECT! That just saved me $600. OK, so do you perhaps have a part # list that I could use for the thimble adapter and such, assuming ESW sells all that stuff? My chimney is roughly 25ft tall at this location, so I should be good with the adapter.

Also for a friend of mine that is also looking at this stove, but doesn't have a chimney at all, what would you suggest she does?

Thanks again man!

Todd

Todd is that a six inch chimney all the way up or is it six inch stove pipe connected to a larger tile lined masonry chimney?

BrotherBart said:
Todd is that a six inch chimney all the way up or is it six inch stove pipe connected to a larger tile lined masonry chimney?

From inside to outside it goes, Woodstove > 6" Stovepipe > Ceramic lined masonry chimney.

Does that make sense?

NHxj4x4 said:

Thanks again man!

Todd

she, as you could as well should you want to leave the flue open , can do a standard through the wall installation , look in the manual online for the installations options shows a cutaway , this install is also the one featured in the DVD you will get with the stove

We are also looking into and leaning toward the 25 PUF. Wondering how to move the heat around into other rooms. House is 2100 sq ft, one fl, open but unconventional ranch. Will ceiling fans do the trick?

NHxj4x4 said:
BrotherBart said:

From inside to outside it goes, Woodstove > 6" Stovepipe > Ceramic lined masonry chimney.

Does that make sense?

ok missed this part , the "lined chimney" is it 6 inch as well? it matters

Status
Not open for further replies.