Englander (Timberidge)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mj5001

Oct 15, 2011
United States
Just to confirm what I see in this forum, the Englander stoves seem to be the most popular, or at least most "talked about" stoves.

I guess Timberidge is the same thing?

Based on that, I'll have to take a hard look at them -- the model 30 especially seems to be a favorite.

?

I know there are many out there but these "seem" to be be the most popular.

There are a couple of Drolet models available to me locally that are very well built. The Eldorado and HT2000.

Century -- Timberwolf and Napolean (pricey) also seem to be good EPA stoves.

I got to tell you, the Drolet HT2000 seems to be the best buy for me -- it's built like a tank and very well machined (I do a lot of metalwork myself) -- I think maybe because the Englander is available through Home depot is one reason it's mentioned so much.

The Drolet is almost 100 lbs heavier for one, they have one on display at Menards and I really like it -- sure as hell puts those Vogelzangs to shame.

Unless someone talks me out of it, I think I'm heading toward the Drolet.

MJ5 said:
I got to tell you, the Drolet HT2000 seems to be the best buy for me -- it's built like a tank and very well machined (I do a lot of metalwork myself) -- I think maybe because the Englander is available through Home depot is one reason it's mentioned so much.

The Drolet is almost 100 lbs heavier for one, they have one on display at Menards and I really like it -- sure as hell puts those Vogelzangs to shame.

Unless someone talks me out of it, I think I'm heading toward the Drolet.
I thought hard about a Drolet. It was a big one, can't remember the model number, but it was an EPA stove with secondary burn tubes in it, and the price looked good. I went with the Englander primarily because of the sale price I got through HD, for many that was the selling point.

I don't think you would be dissatisfied with the Drolet if it's what you can get your hands on.

MJ,

I just picked up my HT2000 at the beginning of the month. This my first EPA stove and still learning on how to operate it efficiently.
Some of the features that attracted me to the stove :

- sale price $1199
- 3.4 cf box
- 550+ lbs ( the heavier the better )
- air control visually easy to see ( my wife can easily operate )
- large ash pan
- BTU rating 95K : )

I have been playing with it for a few weeks now and here is what I found with the HT2000 ( comparing to non epa 500 lbs Heritage Cartier II ).
- gets up to temp really quickly
- air wash is excelent keeping the window clean
- likes to run 700 range
- puts out alot of heat ( hasn't been to cold yet to really see how it perfoms in colder temps )
- good burn times 6+ hours with firebox 1/4 full

How many sf are you going to be heating ?

http://www.drolet.ca/en/products/wood/ht2000-with-pedestal
You can see it burning - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vV0SEebdFg ( not mine )

The HT2000 is a heating beast.

Englander and their other stoves are one of many that are often talked about . . . partly because they're made right here in the US of A, partly because they're a good, solid stove that is clean, affordable and efficient, partly because of the outstanding customer service, but mostly because they work well when you want to make some heat.

That said . . . if you look around you'll see many other brands get a lot of "Thread Time" . . . I would actually guess that the Woodstock stoves get a fair amount of attention . . . especially with the unveiling of the Progress Hybrid this past Fall.

I think I read somewhere that the Drolet were of Canadian mfg. They are acceptable to the Canadian version of the us EPA.

Ozzy -- glad to hear you're happy with the HT2000. I have a single story, well insulated house that is approx 1600 sq feet. You said 6 hours on 1/4 full of wood? So a 3/4 tank maybe will do me all night? I like to sleep on the very cool side anyway, stove or no stove and hoping I can put in fuel around 9pm and have enough fire left for another log or 2 around 6am and then let it die down till 9pm again. (I have some solar options during the day etc).

I haven't had a stove in years -- many years ago, had a cute little stove with secondary combustion called "Valco" -- worked great.

On the HT2000, you would empty the ash pan (full?) once a day? Like the routine I mentioned, maybe right before I fire it up again in the evening, it will be ready for a cleanout -- or will I need to do it more than once a day?

Are you using the optional blower (that's something I must get). Radiant heat is a different animal from "heated air".

How did you get yours in your house? How many guys? Or a lift?

Thanks.

The Drolet has steel TWICE as thick as the Vogelzangs.

Ozzy -- also, I just measured and the top of my fireplace opening to the floor is 42".

I plan on putting the stove in front of the fireplace opening, replacing the damper with a steel plate and running a liner.

But, just looking at the HT200 height (34"), that means I don't have muh room to work with. Can I run an immediate elbow out the top and be ok?

Thanks again.

If your house is well insulated you will probably not need to run a full load until it gets colder. My definition of the 6 hours on a 1/4 load N/S( StoveTop temp was around 250-300 after 6 hours ) with coals visible.

I do not use the ash pan, i leave about 1 inch of ashes in the stove. This really helps with keeping the coals alive. After about 5 or 6 days of burning i shovel out the excess buildup ( no need to do it daily ).

The blower idea I have been thinking about myself but it hasn't been cold enough to really need it. We have a ceiling fan in the next room that we reverse, this helps to get the heat out of the room and into the other parts of the house. If you do get the blower it will defiantly help you heat things up quicker.

You will need 2 people to get the stove into the house. I purchased one that was still on a crate ( not display ). Neighbour has a tree dolly ( beefed up dolly with large wheels 1000 lbs capacity ) that came in handy during the move. Lots of cursing and grunting we got it up from the driveway. Once in the house put an old carpet under crate and we moved it close to pad, removed the top and slowly slipped it onto the pad.

Not to sure about the elbow out the top idea, hopefully someone else can assist. To my understanding the HT2000 does not come with legs, you are stuck with the pedestal. I would all drolet tech support and ask these two questions

This weekend the temp is getting colder and will test with a full load and let you know how things go.

Know all about Chernobyl -- just having a laugh.

Now, starting to think about the Myriad or Austral stoves (a bit smaller than the HT2000) (3.1 cu ft vs 3.4) -- And they both have blowers included.

By the way, I can get the HT2000 for 995.00 at Menards -- damn good price it sounds like.

Both of those are very similar in design. Check out both of them, their baffle systems are a little different and they have a bypass lever I believe rated at 85K BTU. When buying a wood stove you have to consider the weight... the havier the more mass that will hold/radiate heat :lol: . Visit one of the stores that have a display unit, see both of the stoves. If your house is well insulated you might not need the blower, IMO the blower is a cheap addition that you can always get if you require it at a latter time.

$995 is a pretty good price.

ozzy73 said:
MJ,

I just picked up my HT2000 at the beginning of the month. This my first EPA stove and still learning on how to operate it efficiently.
Some of the features that attracted me to the stove :

- sale price $1199
- 3.4 cf box
- 550+ lbs ( the heavier the better )
- air control visually easy to see ( my wife can easily operate )
- large ash pan
- BTU rating 95K : )

I have been playing with it for a few weeks now and here is what I found with the HT2000 ( comparing to non epa 500 lbs Heritage Cartier II ).
- gets up to temp really quickly
- air wash is excelent keeping the window clean
- likes to run 700 range
- puts out alot of heat ( hasn't been to cold yet to really see how it perfoms in colder temps )
- good burn times 6+ hours with firebox 1/4 full

How many sf are you going to be heating ?

http://www.drolet.ca/en/products/wood/ht2000-with-pedestal
You can see it burning - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vV0SEebdFg ( not mine )

I agree that is one serious heater! Great specs and price too.. Looks like it only needs ember protection for the floor a plus.. Heat shields will help reduce CTC's too.. Sounds like a winner!

Ray

Saw this TimberRidge stove on the Canadian Tire website, was on sale for $950 last week. Seems like a fair sized fire box (3.5 sq ft), anyone have any experience with it?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/3/HouseHome/1/HeatingAirConditioning/WoodStoves/PRD~0642845P/Timber+Ridge+Wood+Stove,+2200+sq.+ft+(E.P.A.).jsp?locale=en

Status
Not open for further replies.