Englander To a Honeywell 6580 help.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

c6vette

Dec 15, 2014
rhode island
I want to connect my Englander Pellet insert to a Honeywell 6580 wifi thermostat. it has a jumper on the control board now. I don't understand if I need the relay or not. and if I do I don't understand the wiring.
On the 24 volt side of a plug in transformer it has two screws, does it matter which side is which?
What side is the coil side and what side is the load side on a the relay? is the load side putting out power or closing a contact? see wiring in link on rib relay

http://controlscentral.com/eCatalog...Default.aspx?gclid=CMaLqvXSzsICFVSSfgodjXgA7g
Am I putting power to the stove which is controlled by the relay or am I closing a contact on the stove with a powered relay?

OR*** can I just do it with no relay? just transformer and tstat? I need some solid help so I can get this done and stop walking into a house that's in the 50's

I want to connect my Englander Pellet insert to a Honeywell 6580 wifi thermostat. it has a jumper on the control board now. I don't understand if I need the relay or not. and if I do I don't understand the wiring.
On the 24 volt side of a plug in transformer it has two screws, does it matter which side is which?
What side is the coil side and what side is the load side on a the relay? is the load side putting out power or closing a contact? see wiring in link on rib relay

http://controlscentral.com/eCatalog...Default.aspx?gclid=CMaLqvXSzsICFVSSfgodjXgA7g
Am I putting power to the stove which is controlled by the relay or am I closing a contact on the stove with a powered relay?

OR*** can I just do it with no relay? just transformer and tstat? I need some solid help so I can get this done and stop walking into a house that's in the 50's

You need the relay - the Honeywell literature on that T-stat is specific that it will not run a millivolt system, which is what your stove utilizes. The linked thread above has great information in the very first post, you need to get power 24v power from the transformer to the common on the Tstat, as well as 24v power into the T-stat side of the relay. Then the stove goes on the other side of the relay.

I just hooked up a wifi thermostat to my GCI60. I did not need a relay. I'm using a Radio Thermostat CT-50.

Wifi t-stat need the extra juice to run the wifi radio. This is in place of a "C" wire on most HVAC systems. Here's what I used to power mine: http://store.radiothermostat.com/24VAC-Transformer-CT-Transformer.htm

It's a basic 4 wire hookup: Two wires from the stove, two from the transformer. It took me longer to run the wires than to get it up and running.

I plan on starting a new thread with pictures. Again, it's a very simple process. Mine has been up and running for over a week. Controlling the stove remotely is slick.

I just hooked up a wifi thermostat to my GCI60. I did not need a relay. I'm using a Radio Thermostat CT-50.

Wifi t-stat need the extra juice to run the wifi radio. This is in place of a "C" wire on most HVAC systems. Here's what I used to power mine: http://store.radiothermostat.com/24VAC-Transformer-CT-Transformer.htm

It's a basic 4 wire hookup: Two wires from the stove, two from the transformer. It took me longer to run the wires than to get it up and running.

I plan on starting a new thread with pictures. Again, it's a very simple process. Mine has been up and running for over a week. Controlling the stove remotely is slick.

It depends on the thermostat - the CT-50 you have is millivolt compatible. The original poster's thermostat is not, and would need a relay to operate correctly. I've tried a non-millivolt Tstat with my Englander - they don't work.

I would think a millivolt stat would be easier than the relay setup. If you could still retune the original. I want to say most wifi ones will run a milivolt provided you use a transformer.

I would think a millivolt stat would be easier than the relay setup. If you could still retune the original. I want to say most wifi ones will run a milivolt provided you use a transformer.
Agreed - there are enough millivolt compatible Tstats out there to not have to mess around with relays.

Status
Not open for further replies.