Englander vs Ashley Imperial

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dondude

Dec 7, 2007
marine city mi
I've been using an old ashley imperial for the last 5 years to heat my 2200 sq ft home. Works great lots of heat paid 220 bucks for it. How much wood would i save switching over to a englander 30? I've got 6 acres of oak and have never cut a live tree yet, just using dead and fallen trees so far. Plenty of wood on hand. Just wondering if I'd get better burn times and use less wood with new stove?

It would just be a guess, but folks often report using 25-30% less wood. As long as you are burning totally dry wood, it will also keep your flue a lot cleaner too. However, there is no automatic thermostat like on the Ashley and it will take a smaller (20") length log cut. Need a Blaze King to retain those features.

Our house is not as large as yours but is a drafty old thing. We heated with the Ashley for a good many years and it kept us fairly comfortable using 6-7 cords per year with a couple years a tad more. Two years ago we put in a Woodstock Fireview and it took 2 years to burn 6 cords. So we just say we heat with 50% less wood but the best thing is that we stay much, much warmer in the house. I'm not familiar with the Englander so can't compare there, but it is truly amazing how much better the Fireview is than the Ashley.....and it seems so small too!

Was also looking at Englander Model # 28-3500 and hooking duct work into my homes ducts through the floor vent right next to my existing wood stove. My wife likes the feature of hooking up to ducts so every room even if doors are shut can get heat. The ashley keeps our house really warm. My wifes record is 94, could barely breath when i walked in the door. House is always warm do the new stoves give out comparable heat?

The furnace might work out well for you, but is not an EPA approved, high-efficiency unit like the 30NC, so wood consumption may not be reduced. I'd stick with the stove for the 30% tax credit, clean burning and ability to run during a power outage. There are some high efficiency wood furnaces out there like the Yukon Eagle or Caddy. Maybe head over to the boiler room forum here for furnace questions.

When i look at the specs on home depots site it says 63% efficiency I thought they had to be 75% to get tax credit? Thanks for the advice I think I will stick with the 30nc and retire the ashley to my pole barn for heat when I'm working out there.

dondude said:
When i look at the specs on home depots site it says 63% efficiency I thought they had to be 75% to get tax credit? Thanks for the advice I think I will stick with the 30nc and retire the ashley to my pole barn for heat when I'm working out there.

If it were me I would look at the Fireview or a Blaze King....... :red:

Dennis and I have compared wood consumption the last 2 years and He uses exactly half the wood I do.

Our homes are about the same size and were equally as drafty (But not anymore ;-P )

You and I are almost are at the same Latitude. ( you might be 5 to 10 miles North of me)

I used around 6 cords last Winter.........

Cheers,Hiram

Status
Not open for further replies.