English Walnut

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JA600L

Minister of Fire
Nov 30, 2013
Lancaster Pennsylvania
Hi guys,
My parents are taking down an old English walnut that is splitting down the middle. There are multiple rot areas on the tree and they are getting fewer walnuts. I'm not sure if there is any decent furniture wood in there, but I doubt my parents will pursue that.

I've burnt black walnut before and it burnt like chit with lots of ash. Does english walnut have the same characteristics?

I've never burned English walnut but have burned tons of black and a few butternut(white walnut). I like burning black walnut. The only drawback I can see with it is the amount of ash it produces, but that doesn't bother me. The butternut doesn't last long, and has about the same btu's as poplar. We burned it in our outdoor fire pit because it smelled good and it's no big deal to keep adding to the fire when you are sitting next to it.

Reactions: Jeffm1
A few years ago my neighbor had his English walnut grove logged out....yes grove...they were planted intentionally by his parents for him to harvest one day.I brought home approx. 25 cord of it from the tops. C/S/S and burned the following 2 years. It burnt fast and there was a fair amount of ash after each fire. I mostly mixed it with oak and hickory...it will make some BTUs but they are short lived and a fair amount of ash was left after each fire. In hindsight it wasn't really worth it if your burning everyday...but it was free and we stayed warm.

I burnt some scrap black walnut from a wood working project in the chiminia (sp?) and the smoke that rolled out the top was black as night and oh my God hot.

I burnt some scrap black walnut from a wood working project in the chiminia (sp?) and the smoke that rolled out the top was black as night and oh my God hot.
It burns very hot, not long but hot.

Thanks guys,
I might take it either way. It's free and close by. Might make some decent shoulder wood. I've got a nice ash pan setup so I'll just deal with it.

I like walnut. It burns well produces some heat and smells good. The downside is more ash than some other woods. If it is free - take it.