Enlander / Summers Heat - 55 shp 10 - 25 pdvc - burn pot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

staplebox

Jan 2, 2008
Eastern CT
I've run into something am planning an experiment - just checking here to see if it has been done before.

I've been having some incomplete burn, dirty glass type problems recently so I replaced the door and glass gaskets and and it seemed to help a bit. The pellets seem to be bouncing around a bit in the pot (a tiny bit) and there is less ash build up in the burn pot. So tow new door gaskets helped a bit.

Because I had to order the burn pot gasket from Englander it was the last thing I replaced recently. Since replacing it the incomplete burn / ash build up in the pot problem is a lot worse. (I am sure it was installed correctly but if there is a common error please point it out) I have to "scoop" the burn pot much more often now.

When I took the burn pot outside to clean it out - I noticed that there was a fair amount of ash (fine and clumpy) built up inside the outside walls. The bottom of the burn pot (under the plate) has one nickel size hole on each side - just in front of the outside air intake. These holes lead up the outside walls of the burn pot and to several smaller holes that feed the fire on the sides of the burn pot. If you have one you know what I am talking about - otherwise I hope I explained that well.

My thought is that these holes allow fresh air to avoid coming up directly through the plate and mine was clogged a bit and cleaning it out led to less air coming directly through the pellets. Now that they are clean they instead feed the fire from the side. And that this leads to an incomplete burn. To test that I am going to block the holes under the burn plates - forcing more air through the plate directly onto the pellets.

Let me know if you've tried this before and if so - how it worked. Or tell me where my think is wrong and save me some time.

Thanks

*this is a 2007 model that was new 3 (4??) years ago when I bought it

I`ve experimented and blocked those holes to allow more air under the fire but believe me it doesn`t work as good as I expected.
I learned one thing, the R+D guys at Englander or whoever designed the burn pot were smarter than me.
My advice is leave well enough alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.