Q&A Enlarge Crock to accept larger stovepipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I've talked to a few people who tell me I'm stuck with the 6" crock I have. What do you mean by knock out the crock. The 6" crock is cemented in through a brick wall- then a cinder block wall then into the chimney. The opening would need to be opened up to about 9". I guess using a long chisel or an hammer chisel with a long bit. However- how do you cement the new liner in and get a good seal at the chimney liner. I've posted this question other places on the net but haven't gotten an answer yet. Any help would be appreciate.Also- suppose I use the 8" stove pipe from the stove all the way up to the 6" liner. Then the restriction would be limited to the 2 foot length of horizontal liner. Would this make any difference?

Answer:

No- if you reduce to 6" anywhere- it's the same as doing it the whole way.Yes- either knock the old out and use masonry tools or hammer drill to enlarge. Then using same drill- enlarge the hole into the flue liner. Put lots of refractory cement into the hole- press the new crock or short piece of insulated chimney around it- and then reach inside with your hand and smooth out the cement. Apply more cement if needed to fill in the holes.

Status
Not open for further replies.