enough for one winter? rate my pile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

par0thead151

Feeling the Heat
Jul 26, 2009
south eastern wisconsin
2011-11-04_08-30-20_971.jpg

2011-11-04_08-31-47_501.jpg

I have burned for 2 seasons now, and this year is the first time my pile is "ahead"
like most first year burners i had no wood and just a stove so i cut standing dead trees all winter to burn. the next season i got ahead but not enough as i was training for a ironman triathlon and had little time to devote to cutting wood.
i am kicking myself i did not document how much wood i use per winter in my enviro venice q1700 insert, as i would like to gauge approximate how much i need to be "ready" for a average winter.
what does hearth.com say, will i have enough for this winter? or should i be frenetically cutting/splitting more before the snow flies?
i plan on getting all of next years and then some cut by spring, as i much prefer cutting in the winter when there is snow.

edited to add:
the far left of the photo is a small first row, and there has a second row behind it(which is the row extending all the way across in the photo) so the pile does have a optical illusion as to how many rows/big it is.

edit #2
house is 3000 sq ft.
very well insulated, and i close off two unused bedrooms so that removes a good bit of square footage.
we keep the stove running 24/7 in winter.

Looks to me you have anywhere from 4-6 cord. My best guess. Pat

If it's dry you're in better shape than me. Pines sure do grow in nice straight lines by you Parot, darn nice of em'.

Looks like 2 1/2 full cord, but hard to tell without measurements. It can vary how much you will need by the size of the house you're heating etc., but for most people around here 2 1/2 cord is only about half of what they would need for one year.

Nice wood piles.
You'll burn less wood if it seasoned a year. Quit a bit less since you were burning green wood. Better burns, more heat with lower damper settings, less creosote, easier to start fires.
So getting ahead is good, you'll have some great wood to burn next season. Dry seasoned wood makes a huge difference.
Split & stack it off the ground with good air circulation, for a year & you'll be impressed with the difference.
If some is oak, 2 yrs + to season well for it.
Happy burning :)

Keep cutting and splitting, you cant have too much wood. It does look like you have enough for this year, I burn 3 1/2 - 4 cords a year and my house is a good size.

That looks like more than four cords to me. Depending on the size of your house and how well insulated it is, you might be ok.

To be certain if you have enough wood, cut enough for the coldest possible winte your area could have, then double it.

Seriously so much depends on your house (size and insulation) and type of wood your burning, it's hard to generalize. It looks to me like you have over 4 cords and that would be about enough here in VA but I'm not sure about Wisconsin.

Good job getting that pile done! If you can keep cutting since you can't have too much!

Between 3-4 cord is my guess, counting the stuff that is piled not stacked, but not counting the pine trees.

That would be just about enough to keep our house warm, for an average winter.
However, the last two winters I been burning about a cord more out in the shop, so I'd have to cut down some of your pine trees too if it was my place.

The concern I have is that it looks like possibly the majority of that wood is rounds. Rounds dry slower than splits so this stuff may not be ready and if it's damp, that means you'd need more than normal.

I go through 4.5 cord of hardwood in a modern epa stove here in NE-Pa. If I knew I was going to have to burn softwoods for the winter, I'd probably want 6-7 cord on hand to keep things the way I like.

Good luck!

pen

red oak said:
To be certain if you have enough wood, cut enough for the coldest possible winte your area could have, then double it.
va
Seriously so much depends on your house (size and insulation) and type of wood your burning, it's hard to generalize. It looks to me like you have over 4 cords and that would be about enough here in VA but I'm not sure about Wisconsin.

Good job getting that pile done! If you can keep cutting since you can't have too much!

agreed.
i plan on cutting as much as i can. i also have had great success with craigslist scores, so i will keep that up for sure.
picking wood up on someones curb is much easier than dragging it out of the woods and chipping or burning the brush/leftovers.

Never mind the wood, I love that truck !

par0thead151 said:
gregbesia said:

agreed.
its a great vehicle. my company vehicle too!
it can haul a LOT of wood!

My work truck is a nice Sierra also, however I don't think I'm allowed to use state trucks for personal wood hauling.. ;)

Mt Ski Bum said:
par0thead151 said:
gregbesia said:

agreed.
its a great vehicle. my company vehicle too!
it can haul a LOT of wood!

My work truck is a nice Sierra also, however I don't think I'm allowed to use state trucks for personal wood hauling.. ;)

perks of it being a family business and me being family :)

par0thead151 said:
what does hearth.com say, will i have enough for this winter? or should i be frenetically cutting/splitting more before the snow flies?
i plan on getting all of next years and then some cut by spring, as i much prefer cutting in the winter when there is snow.

I too prefer to cut the wood during the winter. Also, right after Thanksgiving is a great time to put up next year's wood plus the wood for the year after next. Get 3 years ahead if you can as you'll be much better off. Also, don't wait to split it just before you are ready to burn. We split in spring and still leave the wood many years to dry before burning.

Backwoods Savage said:
par0thead151 said:

I too prefer to cut the wood during the winter. Also, right after Thanksgiving is a great time to put up next year's wood plus the wood for the year after next. Get 3 years ahead if you can as you'll be much better off. Also, don't wait to split it just before you are ready to burn. We split in spring and still leave the wood many years to dry before burning.

This is when I am starting too! The leaves are still hanging on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.