enough heat? door sag...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelvin 506

Aug 20, 2014
MA
I read some paperwork on my house wrong. Turns out it's 3,000 sq ft, not 2,500. Don't get me started how this came about. Had to do with old literature is all I can say.
My stove (Hearthstone Manchester) is rated up to like 24,000 sq ft. Now some of this I can shut down temporarily (like through the night) such as the laundry room, the spare bedroom, and the bathrooms off the hall ways, walk in closet, mud room.
Is the stove going to keep up? The bedrooms are on the extreme ends of the 2 long wings (stove in living room in center of house). The house is L shaped if that helps picture the layout. I have dorrway corner fans to each hallway. It's a very old house but is insulated and has new quality storm windows and doors but the actual windows are single pane wood inward swinging casements so they don't all have a super tight seal. I suppose I can do some insulation string between them when I seal them up for the winter.
We have heavy down comforters so I'm hoping we'll be warm enough as I'd like to use wood for primary heat 24/7.
Have a newer furnace with full tank of oil if necessary.
There's a fireplace in every room of the house, I could look into stoves in those (like really little ones) but they wouldn't burn all night and I'm not sure I want stoves in the kids' rooms! Maybe put one in the master bedroom but then I hate to lose the open fire option.

Lastly, the door on the stove when I close it comes into contact with the flange around the stove opening. I have to give it a little lift up to get it to close without friction. The manual has no information on this. Any suggestions?
I have the stove shop scheduled to come out in 2 weeks but if it only involves a screwdriver I would give it a go.
Thanks.

Predicting how well the stove will work is almost impossible when there is little known about how the house heats in general. The same sq ftg could be easy to heat in one house and impossible in another. And that is before we start talking about the wood seasoning. If the wood is excellent and the house is well-insulated then the stove will make a significant difference. The primary heating may come on when the weather is cold, but that is not a bad thing.

Note that code does not permit a woodstove in a bedroom except in very special circumstances. Not sure on the stove door, but be sure they get it right. Hopefully it will end up being something as simple as adding a shim washer on the bottom hinge.

Woah!! I missed the boat on this stove's power!

Pardon my sarcasm :) I couldnt resist. Carry on....

I have been know to embellish and exaggerate from time to time! I guess I deserved to get call out on this one. Since I've been taken to task, I might as well admit that the house is only 400 sq ft. ;)

Begreen,

I'm actually relieved to hear that more stoves are not an option. Too risky, too much extra work, etc.

I guess we will have to see what happens this year. I just topped up the 330 gallon oil tank and I'm coming to anticipate that we will likely burn some oil this year (even before I found out about the sq ft difference). We will likely be away from the house from time to time for a day or 2 or even a week perhaps. What do you think for a low temp for the house when unoccupied?
What do you recommend for a floor temp for a house so when the stove cools off we aren't trying to reheat the place from 40 degrees?
New to wood burning, not sure what to expect. I'm thinking of buying a wifi thermostat so we can check on house temp and adjust thermostat remotely if needed.

We will likely be away from the house from time to time for a day or 2 or even a week perhaps. What do you think for a low temp for the house when unoccupied?
What do you recommend for a floor temp for a house so when the stove cools off we aren't trying to reheat the place from 40 degrees?
New to wood burning, not sure what to expect. I'm thinking of buying a wifi thermostat so we can check on house temp and adjust thermostat remotely if needed.

If away for just 2-3 days I'd set the temp back about 7-8 degrees depending on the normal setting. Say 63F if the house is normally at 70F. That should make it reasonably easy to bring the temp back up to 70F.

The key elements for wood heating the house will be the wood dryness and the operator. Be patient and expect the first few months to be a learning experience.

Door sag. My hearthstone door sagged due to the holes on the door hinge eggng out after 8 years of use. My dealer stepped up and got hearthstone to warranty me a new one.

You can't shim this type of hinge to make it right. You'll need to change out the castings if it is bad enough. Some Hearthstone doors you can unbolt the door frame which includes the hinge and others you need a complete stove rebuild to replace the bad hinges. Your dealer will know. The very small gaskets and knife edge style of gasket contact make door alignment critical.

Hearthstone offers (they did a few years ago) lifetime replacement on the castings but not the labor to change them.

By the way, I love your avatar.

Who doesn't like Fire Marshal Bill . . . he's my idol . . . since my main job is also fire prevention education.

Status
Not open for further replies.