Enough numbers are in, and they say good things!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bill3rail

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2012
LI, NY
Purchased our house just under four years ago. Installed the stove three years ago (1/1/2011).

Year 1: 591 gallons of oil---------------------$1797.00
Year 2: 233 gallons of oil---------------------$ 817.00
Year 3: 203 gallons of oil---------------------$ 641.00
Year 4: we have one more oil drop coming, but it is looking good already!

Basically, our stove has paid for itself and all pellets are paid for! Plus We're saving money on top of that!

So happy I could go out and buy some more pellets!

Thanks to Hearth.com, I have gained a lot of knowledge on pellet stove repair, which would have taken me many hours of trial and error to figure out on my own.

Love you guys and girls!

Bill

Last edited:
Why does it keep dropping? Do you just change how often you run your stove from season to season?

Reactions: bill3rail
Why does it keep dropping? Do you just change how often you run your stove from season to season?

We run it when it is cold, and shut it off when it is warm. Nothing more, nothing less.
I guess degree days would have a massive effect on pellet and oil usage.

Bill

Reactions: iceguy4
Purchased our house just under four years ago. Installed the stove three years ago (1/1/2011).

Year 1: 991 gallons of oil---------------------$1797.00
Year 2: 233 gallons of oil---------------------$ 817.00
Year 3: 203 gallons of oil---------------------$ 641.00
Year 4: we have one more oil drop coming, but it is looking good already!

Basically, our stove has paid for itself and all pellets are paid for! Plus We're saving money on top of that!

So happy I could go out and buy some more pellets!

Thanks to Hearth.com, I have gained a lot of knowledge on pellet stove repair, which would have taken me many hours of trial and error to figure out on my own.

Love you guys and girls!

Bill
Awesome job!

Interesting that the price of fuel oil changed the way it did.

Is that year 1 figure right? 991 gallons of oil for only $1797? That's 1.81 a gallon. I don't remember oil being that cheap and your year two price comes out to be $3.51 a gallon.

Reactions: ZBrooks
So, let's say you burn $1000 less oil a year. But how much for the pellets?
He burned 800 gallons less, at about $3.50 per gallon, that's about $2800 in oil saved. To replace that 800 gallons, he'd need 6+ tons of pellets. Depending upon what pellets he buys, $200 to $300 a ton, he's saving anywhere from $1000 to $1600 a year.

How many Harbor Freight multimeters do you have? I think I have about 14, maybe more...

I opt for the flashlights & tape measures..

Is that year 1 figure right? 991 gallons of oil for only $1797? That's 1.81 a gallon. I don't remember oil being that cheap and your year two price comes out to be $3.51 a gallon.
Sorry, I screwed up! I may not have had my reading glasses on when I read 991. Should have been 591. I corrected it in my first post.

Bill

I opt for the flashlights & tape measures..
I have about 8 tape measures and I gave away all of the flashlights because they are not as bright as what I normally carry.

Bill

$1048.38 since day one, and I should have enough to finish out this year with no problem.

He burned 800 gallons less, at about $3.50 per gallon, that's about $2800 in oil saved. To replace that 800 gallons, he'd need 6+ tons of pellets. Depending upon what pellets he buys, $200 to $300 a ton, he's saving anywhere from $1000 to $1600 a year.

I buy cheap pellets, and have spent a total of $1048.38 in pellets. 245 bags total, $4.28 average cost per bag.

Bill

in 2008, I installed my stove. 591 Gallons of oil is real close to what I use to go through.

Oil in my parts is currently $3.70/Gal. 591 X 3.70= $2186.70

Paid $1464.00 for 6 tons of pellets (only use 4-ish/year) Will save $722.00 this year!

in 2008, I installed my stove. 591 Gallons of oil is real close to what I use to go through.

Oil in my parts is currently $3.70/Gal. 591 X 3.70= $2186.70

Paid $1464.00 for 6 tons of pellets (only use 4-ish/year) Will save $722.00 this year!

This is our third season with pellets. Pre-pellet we averaged 1200 gallons of oil per year for heat and hot water. Now we average about 300 gallons oil/year for hot water and an occasional blast of heat - usually only when temps are in teens or lower for 2 or more days in a row.

We burn about 3 1/2 tons of pellets a year at $209/ton + delivery charge. These numbers are great for me. We broke even in the second year, including coast of stove, installation and pellets.

Now we average about 300 gallons oil/year for hot water
Heat pump HW heater plumbed in a way that makes it easy to switch from boiler will pay for its self VERY fast...and that's not even figuring out how much you are saving by NOT having to run a de-humidifier in the summer. I actually figure my HW is free during the summer

This is our third season with pellets. Pre-pellet we averaged 1200 gallons of oil per year for heat and hot water. Now we average about 300 gallons oil/year for hot water and an occasional blast of heat - usually only when temps are in teens or lower for 2 or more days in a row.

We burn about 3 1/2 tons of pellets a year at $209/ton + delivery charge. These numbers are great for me. We broke even in the second year, including coast of stove, installation and pellets.
You must have also done some insulating!

You must have also done some insulating!

Am ashamed to say we did not. The house is a little over 100 tears old, stone and brick, uninsulated. It seems however, that our layout is conducive to centrally located pellet stove heat. Only one room upstairs stays cooler than the rest, but not by too much.

Reactions: chken
Am ashamed to say we did not. The house is a little over 100 tears old, stone and brick, uninsulated. It seems however, that our layout is conducive to centrally located pellet stove heat. Only one room upstairs stays cooler than the rest, but not by too much.
Don't be ashamed, be grateful for such a good layout! You are very fortunate to be able to save 900 gallons of oil, and replace that with only 3.5 tons of pellets. Just matching the BTUs would mean using 7.5 tons. You're saving well over $2000 a year! I may have to start a new survey asking how much people's pellets stoves are saving them.

Status
Not open for further replies.