enough time to season?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattg1970

Apr 14, 2007
I just picked up 1 cord of oak that has been split for 2 weeks. I began splitting most of it again because I want smaller pieces for my 602. If i loosley stack the wood where it will get alot of sun will it be seasoned enough for this winter? I live in SE mass.

mattg1970 said:
I just picked up 1 cord of oak that has been split for 2 weeks. I began splitting most of it again because I want smaller pieces for my 602. If i loosley stack the wood where it will get alot of sun will it be seasoned enough for this winter? I live in SE mass.

If it was green when split, then doubtful, especially if red oak. White oak seems to start out drier. But if you split it small enough, then perhaps. How's that for a weasel answer?

DiscoInferno said:
mattg1970 said:

If it was green when split, then doubtful, especially if red oak. White oak seems to start out drier. But if you split it small enough, then perhaps. How's that for a weasel answer?
Weaselly, but true!

I'd say unlikely. Save it for next year.

mattg1970 said:

Probably not for early winter, but might be OK by late Jan-early Feb... Keep it out in the sun for now, once it starts getting into late fall, figure to top cover it (preferably w/ black material for solar gain) or put it in a wood shed.

Gooserider

Sorry.. but no. I've had white oak take as long as a year or more to season. That wood is 08/09 stove food.

I had some oak that needed at least a good year to dry, for me even 11 months was still tough to burn. It's ready this year though! KD

If you were out here on the west coast Id say MAYBE by Dec. With our low humidity and late summers you could get it ready by Dec. but even thats pushin it, stack it in the most sunny place you can and cover it before the rain falls and you may get lucky. At 1st Id try burning it mixed with good dry wood.

I'd have to say it's too late to be ready this year unless you built some kind of solar kiln? I just tested some 1.5 year old red and white oak splits for moisture and most were in the 20% range give or take a few points. But then I found 2 larger splits that were in the 37% range. Oak takes a long time to dry, especially larger splits.

i've got some oak thats been sitting in tree length for a couple years and then in rounds for another when first split it was still moist but just checked up on it today and it semmes to be drying pretty well. shouldn't get into that stuff until late winter though. even last year i had some questionable stuff so i put it in the basement for a few wekks before burning and it did alright

The short answer is: NO. The slightly longer answer is: NOPE.

Hate to give you bad news, but I think it's better than false hope. I would say that you have a start on next seasons wood, which is not a bad thing at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.