Envi Blocks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oak194

Jul 2, 2008
Northeast Pa
Here's a question I've been trying to figure out, how many btu's or cord(s) of wood do you think a ton of theses Envri Blocks/ bricks account for?
I've been throwing numbers around but nothing seems to make sense. There are like 320 blocks in a ton, which are made from hardwood.
They are made of the same stuff as pellets, in fact they are made by Barefoot Pellets in Troy,Pa.

Any ideas?

Reason I am asking is to find out if they are worth $229 a ton compared to $150 for good seasoned maple and oak.

oak194 said:
Here's a question I've been trying to figure out, how many btu's or cord(s) of wood do you think a ton of theses Envri Blocks/ bricks account for?
I've been throwing numbers around but nothing seems to make sense. There are like 320 blocks in a ton, which are made from hardwood.
They are made of the same stuff as pellets, in fact they are made by Barefoot Pellets in Troy,Pa.

Any ideas?

Reason I am asking is to find out if they are worth $229 a ton compared to $150 for good seasoned maple and oak.

what are the claims of a ton compared to a cord of wood? is one ton of these bricks similar to a cord.... cord and a half?

ave weight for a cord of hardwood is about 3000lb (season)

smokinj said:
ave weight for a cord of hardwood is about 3000lb (season)

yeah but they say a ton of Bio bricks is equal to a cord and a half of firewood, was wondering if this company is claiming the same thing

lb of hard wood should be a lb of hard wood thats all iam looking at Unless bio bricks are worth 1 and a half times more for some reason and they want you to pay 1.65times more. If thats the case your still be paying 15percent more for the bio brick

smokinj said:
lb of hard wood should be a lb of hard wood thats all iam looking at Unless bio bricks are worth 1 and a half times more for some reason and they want you to pay 1.65times more. If thats the case your still be paying 15percent more for the bio brick

i don't think you understand what i am trying to say

Depending on the cost of local firewood, you may very well be paying a premium for compressed fuel like the BioBricks or Envi blocks. For that premium you get cleaner burning, longer burns with more even heat output, convenience, no waste, more compact storage and a guaranteed dryness. For a lot of urban and suburban burners these are nice benefits. Especially when the wood they get delivered is anything but seasoned. They're not for everyone, but they have their place in the market.

rich81 said:
smokinj said:

i don't think you understand what i am trying to say
if you can get a cord of wood for 150.oo bucks to equall the the bricks you would need cord and a half witch would be 225 at your price there for the same thing would be 229.00 wich the wood is 1 percent cheeper than the brick sorry my math was off so the two vaules are very close witch do you like to burn better

To answer the OP's question, an Envi block weighs about 8 lbs. At 8,000 btus per pound each block is ~64,000 btus. That's a lot of heat in a compact package. A ton of Envi blocks should come in at about 16,000,000 btus. A cord of well seasoned hardwood is going to weigh about 3200 lbs (1.6 times as much as a ton), with say a heating value of 6,000 btus/lb should come it at about 19,200,000 btus. So comparing a cord to a ton of biobrick, the cord should come out slightly ahead - if, it is dry 20% or less and if it is all good hardwood like oak. However, comparing the equivalent weight of 1.6 tons of Envi blocks to the 3200 lbs of cordwood, then the Envi blocks would be 25,600,000 btus.

When cordwood is going for $250/cord locally, the compressed fuel starts making sense to some folk. At $229/ton the bricks are 69,869 btus per dollar. The cord at $150 (great price!) is 128,000 btus per dollar and clearly the winner here.

BeGreen said:
To answer the OP's question, an Envi block weighs about 8 lbs. At 8,000 btus per pound each block is ~64,000 btus. That's a lot of heat in a compact package. A ton of Envi blocks should come in at about 16,000,000 btus. A cord of well seasoned hardwood is going to weigh about 3200 lbs (1.6 times as much as a ton), with say a heating value of 6,000 btus/lb should come it at about 19,200,000 btus. So comparing a cord to a ton of biobrick, the cord should come out slightly ahead - if, it is dry 20% or less and if it is all good hardwood like oak. However, comparing the equivalent weight of 1.6 tons of Envi blocks to the 3200 lbs of cordwood, then the Envi blocks would be 25,600,000 btus.

When cordwood is going for $250/cord locally, the compressed fuel starts making sense to some folk. At $229/ton the bricks are 69,869 btus per dollar. The cord at $150 (great price!) is 128,000 btus per dollar and clearly the winner here.
Nice way to break that down!

For comparison, with heating oil at around $4/gallon it gives you ~35,000 btus per dollar.

smokinj said:
BeGreen said:

Nice way to break that down!
qa

i think thats what the original poster was looking for

Thanks begreen, my math was telling me the envi bricks/blocks were a expensive, but I bought 50, at .75 cents each. The idea for us is to have my mother throw a couple in the Quad 7100 when it gets low just to keep it going till my wife and I get home from work. Can't have my daughter get cold! If it gets too cold in the house when my mother is babysitting she'll crank up the furnace! And I really dont want to call the oil guy at all!!

Thanks again for all the replies!

Ps. $150 a cord is actually on the higher side near me. but you KNOW your getting a full cord and the logs have been sitting on the deck since last winter. The guy is very good for the $$.

i have some here they burn hot real hot.... u may want to cut a few if u have a pretty good fire going already plus it will make them last even longer.

Lazey heat I think . I cant afford that . I bet they burn sweet . same dry log one after another ,If I could get maybe 1/4 ton I will try them out and let you know , If they work good for you
I have a big mouth

I have a friend in the Forrest Service here in Maine and he did some digging and found out that 1 ton of Envi Blocks is equal to 1 cord of silver maple with a 20% moisture rating. So that being said 1 ton of Envi is 16,789,720 btu's per ton and Silver Maple is 16,500,000 Btu's per cord. Hopefully that helps anyone trying to figure it out. any question you can reach me by pming me or check out our web site www.gogreenwithoharas.com

BeGreen said:

Excellent explanation. Well done!

BTW, I just priced Envi blocks locally (I'm within spittin' distance to Plymouth, MA) and to go and pick them up yourself the lowest price was $299/ton. Delivery was another $50. (For anyone who wants to know where, it is South Shore Wood Pellets , Holbrook, MA 781-986-7797. No, I don't work there.)

Status
Not open for further replies.