Enviro Boston insert. any thoughts?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brakatak

Jul 1, 2013
SE Mass.
been on the market for a new stove, but holding off the purchase now until Tax Holiday Aug 10th weekend. so been shopping around a lot lately in the meantime. our big debate has been between Lopi Freedom, Hearthstone Clydesdale, and now Enviro Boston is in the mix. I'm still leaning to the Lopi. but the Enviro Boston I saw yesterday has great specs (84% efficient, 2.5 ft box, 8-12 hr burn times, etc), and its a great looking stove with the cast surround. can get it same price as the lopi. I haven't seen a lot of reviews on the enviro boston, so just wondering if anyone has any experience or thoughts on this one? thanks. 2 more weeks until the purchase. cant wait.

I've never heard a bad word about the Boston and have heard a lot of praise. Enviro makes good stoves. The Boston and Venice are good lookers.

I bought the Boston Enviro 1700 in the beginning of December 2012 and heated my whole 1700 sq ft 2 story colonial exclusively with it. Burn times are as advertised I usually get 10 hours if I pack it up. The glass stays very clean,the blower is quiet,seems to be holding up well looks no different inside then when I first got it minus some ash between the firebricks. I am very happy with this insert. If you have any other questions let me know.

Good to hear.. I'm actually thinking this is now taking the #1 spot on my list. Performance/Specs are pretty much in line with the Freedom, but appearance is better imo. same price too.

Chad - how do you like the stove so far in your first year ? Any issues? do you consistently get overnight burns ? does your heat spread well throughout the house? how is it to get fires started up? any smoke in the house? any maintenance? can you load both N/S and E/W ? Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to get as much info before i make the purchase. thanks.

I love the stove. I thought I was going to need fans to circulate the air throughout the house but I ended up not needing anything. No issues at all. Overnight burns are not a problem. Easy to get a fire started I was running it 24/7 so it was pretty much just reload every 8-10 hours depending on what I was burning. A load of seasoned oak you will have at least 10 hours of useful heat and plenty of coal to restart. No smoke in house and no more dust than I already had. I haven't had to do any maintenance besides cleaning. You can load 20" logs N/S 16" E/W. Not to mention it looks really nice in the living room. Anything else let me know.

thanks for the info.. this is awesome. Makes me feel confident on the buy. actually may pull the trigger on it this week and pre-order for the tax holiday. im sick of shopping around. this one seems to have everything we're looking for. specs, performance, looks, etc.

Hi Brak- you will be making an excellent choice. The Boston came out 2 seasons ago and is the same engine as the Kodiak insert that has been around for many years. I have sold and burned the Enviro wood stoves for the past 5 years, I still think they are underrated... not enough exposure. Enviro prob more known for their pellet stoves (except maybe in Canada and the Pac NW USA) which are excellent as well. Price versus value, I believe it will be hard to beat. Good luck, oh yeah, burn times are easily overnight, typically 8-10 hrs, I heat my 1700 sqft raised ranch with a Kodiak and two pellet stoves as supplemental, or the two pellet stoves when wife is home, she's not into looking after the wood stove. I work at Preston Trading Post, so I'm gone from my house a lot during the day. Good luck.

stovelark - I hear great things about your store. Wish it was closer to me so I could buy there.
thanks for the boston review. helps a lot. cant wait to get it.

I would have bought my stove at Preston trading post being so close to me except no one gave me the time of day when I went in being a 28 year old young looking guy I ended up spending my $3000 dollars elsewhere where I was taken seriously.

ChadD, sorry to hear about your experience at PTP. I worked there from 1999-2009, went to a store in Newington CT for 4 years, then another retailer for 6 mos. I just started back at PTP. There is never an excuse to be offered, sometimes we sales people forget that customers like you pay our wages (Henry Ford's motto). I do again apologize.

No need for a apology just thought I would throw it out there as a learning experience. Newington treated me very well!

I have good memories of Preston Trading Post and have appreciated their good service in the past. Good folks. Now if they could just get rid of the awful website design.

Well let me ask, are you leaning towards them vs others?

Hi Chad, ok thanks for understanding. BG- thanks for your comments too, and your sageness here on the forum.

Bought this stove last night. Felt great to seal the deal and end the search. Commonwealth Fireplace in Norwood, MA.. Great shop.

Hi Brak- So you went with the Boston?? If so, good for you, I know you'll love it (whichever stove). All are good clean burning stoves, just get dry seasoned wood, 95 percent of it all is that. These new stoves pretty much do the rest. Good luck with it.

Yep. Got the Boston 1700. Pumped. Thanks to you and other very helpful members on this site.

I guess you didn't wait for the Mass tax-free weekend... I'm also in Mass, and we're looking at inserts (including the Boston 1700). Unfortunately, the tax-free weekend only applies to items less than $2500, and tax is applied to the entire cost of items over that... At least now we're not in a rush to make up our minds by then! Best of luck with your new insert!

Jim - i do get the benefit of the the tax free weekend. they were able to take my order and will process the card on tax free weekend without me having to go into the store. all the shops i talked to will do this. they actually recommend it since tax free weekend they will be crazy busy.

Oh. That's a good idea. If you don't mind me asking, were you able to buy the stove for less than the $2500 limit? With the over-sized surround, I was quoted $2800. I guess if nothing else, we'd be able to save the tax on the stainless liner.

Ask if you can order/pay the stove/insert separately from the surround. Also remember the 10% fed tax credit if you qualify. That is on the full deal.

Nice you will enjoy it!

Jim - i do get the benefit of the the tax free weekend. they were able to take my order and will process the card on tax free weekend without me having to go into the store. all the shops i talked to will do this. they actually recommend it since tax free weekend they will be crazy busy.

Jim, as begreen said, all the shops will work with you to make sure you'll qualify for the tax credit. they can split up the order, etc to make sure you are under 2500.

Jim, as begreen said, all the shops will work with you to make sure you'll qualify for the tax credit. they can split up the order, etc to make sure you are under 2500.

Thanks Brakatak and Begreen. For us, it came down to the Enviro Boston 1700 vs the Clydesdale. We pre-ordered a Clydesdale yesterday, and as you said, they were able to split up the order to qualify for the tax-free weekend. We'll also be sure to use the 10% federal tax credit. Brakatak - thanks for putting the tax-free weekend on my radar; I didn't realize they announced it until your post! Best of luck with your new Boston insert!

Jim, thats awesome. probably save about 500 dollars between tax weekend and tax credit. Originally we were all about the Lopi Freedom, but the wife kept saying she didnt like the look. so we switched gears and came down to the same 2 options as you - Clydesdale or Enviro Boston. Both have great looks and specs. I liked the larger viewing glass on the clydesdale better, but something drew me to the boston in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.