Enviro Boston/Kodiak questions before purchase

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I already said to quit posting pics of that beautiful great heating insert! >>

Actually was going to replace my old insert with the Enviro in 2005. Local dealer listed on their website told me he didn't sell Enviro. I sent a bitching email to Enviro and the next week installed the 30-NC in the fireplace. Two months after that the dealer called me and told me he would be glad to sell me the Enviro insert.

As she said in the movie: Mistake, big mistake.

Catches the crap that comes out of the door when you are loading or messing with the load. Most of it is just ashes from opening the door.

Catches the crap that comes out of the door when you are loading or messing with the load. Most of it is just ashes from opening the door.
Oh...have to say, I haven't missed not having one. I just sweep up any ashes right away. Though I am very careful when opening the door or loading it, so I don't get much.

Still think the Boston is one of the prettiest stoves available, its fairly easy to install (The Kodiak is a breeze, Boston's cast pieces need to be removed) and of course the stove runs and heats beautifully. Great insert choice.

Congratulations - I'm sure you'll like whatever it is you picked. How long is the wait? I assume a decent amount at this time of year. I don't think we'll be able to wait to find out.

I'm sure lots of other people will tell you this to but don't forget to insist on a block off plate. I made the mistake of letting my dealer talk me out of it only to do it myself a few weeks after the install. It was a 1 man, 1 day and many cuss word job to get it done. Hardest part was getting the Boston's surround back on and lined up correctly doing it by myself.

I have a block off plate that I fabbed up with my current stove. I may re use it modified as needed. The gentleman who helped me at the fireplace shop said about a week. I'm super excited!

Either one will give you years of nice comfy heat- congrats.

I have been using my Kodiak for years now. It is a tank. It just does it's job and does it well. Just clean the blower motor and squirrel cage once a season. Replaced the blower bearings once at about the 5 or 6 year mark but they are cheap and easy to replace. Mine is the 1700. Easy to install also. My enclosure is also a custom. You can't have too much stove. You can build a smaller fire if needed, but if your stove is too small, there is nothing you can do about it.

I like the Boston also. They came out with it a year after I purchased my Kodiak. I reviewed the Kodiak on here and complained about the utilitarian appearance. Maybe they read these forums?

Anyways, I am sure you will enjoy your purchase. You made a good choice. KD

Reactions: stovelark
9cc672c8680659542268910d22f0f196.jpg I found this yesterday.

Also the entire firebox is lined with roxul and a block off plate is installed. It's been too warm for any start up fires but I'll keep everyone posted. Total cost came in about 3340 dollars. Very pleased with the construction and look of this unit!

Great job! Looks like it grew there, very nice!

Very nice looking - fills that spot nicely.

Report back on your performance once you get a few fires in. I'm interested in the insulation on the sides. I've been thinking of putting that on the to do list but also figure out a way to do it without moving the insert out like a lot of others around here have done. Stuffing Roxul is probably the easiest option. Is the Roxul right against the insert?

Will do. The roxul has about and inch gap or so all the way around the sides. For the block off plate I used spray glue and glued roxul to it as well. On my other insert the roxul was right up against it on all sides and I didn't have any issues with it. The roxul is easy to work with and does seem to make a difference to me.

Gorgeous- good luck with her.

looks great. good choice. solid stove. got one myself a couple years ago. heats like a champ.

I've only burned a couple start up fires. It's been too warm here. The second fire after I let it slowly come up to temp I was able to get a decent amount of heat. Achieved secondary burn for a bit as well. Need more practice but so far so good!

Right on. Looks great. Happy to see another enviro insert out there. You've got a solid stove. Enjoy! Burning your insert is almost as addictive as Hearth.com. :) We love our Kodiak 1700.

Reactions: stovelark
Hey guys! Update time. I've burned a couple more fires and we've had a couple single digit nights. Stove heats well. I get a very even heat out of it I've noticed compared to my older stove. My old stove heated well but a couple things the Boston does well for those also considering this stove-
1. This stove burns long- at least for me I've been able to get 9 hr burn times with 6 splits if seasoned oak and some cherry here and there. Relight is easy as there were plenty of coals to spare

2. Glass stays clean- sounds trivial but if you want heat and the good ambiance of a fire this stove rocks for that.

OK so its a short list but I'm pretty happy with my stove choice. I get so many compliments on it from people and honestly that alone helps me know I made the right choice. It's 17 out right now and I woke up and got the fire going after last night. 8c446ec6ab46487314d81ff6f4f88064.jpg

Reactions: Haven
Great to hear you are liking your Enviro, almost all people do. Mine's heating nicely downstairs as I type, its about 28 here and is snowing lightly. 8-10 hours burn is pretty easy, that progressive burn tech really does work. The boston 1700 is my next stove if I ever give up the Kodiak, very simple, easy to burn stove. I know the Boston would behave the same, being a steel stove at heart with some pretty cast cladding...

Status
Not open for further replies.