enviro ef2 auger

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyL

Jan 11, 2008
Norfolk co. Ma.
I Have an ef2 that is about three months old the auger seems to jam on the pellets.
Sometimes hard enough to stop feeding pellets completely, other times it stops it
long enough to let the flame die out then you here a pop(pellet breaking) and then
the stove resumes feeding and over fills the fire pot. I have been burning the same pellets
for two years and have never had a problem with them in my other stoves. I
just bought a ton of warm fronts and the stove has the same problem. if I grab the gear-motor body
and rotate it, the jam usually clears. Is it possible that the gear-motor is weak?
Thanks, Andy

No responses? I have been burning pellets for 4 years, reading this forum 2 years, and have been posting for a year.
This is a legitimate problem. Any Ideas? Just reposting to get it back on the top of the list for one more try.
Thanks again Andy

Not sure how you could verify if your motor is weak or not. Since pellets could vary from batch to batch and maybe even bag to bag, do you think that maybe the last few bags had a higher percentage of longer pellets? I burned quite a few bags of my Turmans which I love and had no problems, then it seems like I had several jams close together. Now I have not had any again for a while. Maybe the auger has a greater amount of fines in it right now causing extra drag on the auger and making it easier to jam. Try running out your hopper and clean out the auger chute and tube, then see if it continues.

I don't have an Eviro but at least this helps keep you at the top... :coolsmile:

could be a couple things , possibly the pellets possibly the stove itself. with it being consistant ,

check the top of the drop chute for impacted debris, take a butter knife and insert it up the chute reaching through the front door and poke around see if stuff starts coming out, if so continue until it quits coming and retry the stove. also if you have a stove which you can pull the auger , look up the auger tube to see what it looks like in the transition from the tube to the drop chute , an obstruction such as a misplaced seal could block it up , could be a loose connection with the auger/auger motor attachment where the drive motor shaft slips insted of driving the auger, usually a setscrew or a shear pin will be present there, check it to see that its intact and tight

The pellets could be the problem but I doubt it. The pellets don't seem overly large or too hard and burn very well in my dell.point, Danson v50i and my Inlaws' Englander
25pdvc (great stove by the way for the money). The auger shaft is fastened tight to the auger-motor, I cannot see any slipping at all. As far as the pellets bridging up over the auger intake shift I don't think this is the problem because I can throw 1 hand full into the auger at a time and it will bind up 3-5 times. If you look very carfully at the electric motor shaft not the gearbox output shaft you can see the shaft move back and forth about 3/8 of an inch when the auger jams and the auger tries to cycle, then the electric motor actually stops. I just find it hard to believe a pellet can stop a gear motor so easily. I can watch it happen on command.

Status
Not open for further replies.