Enviro EF2 ignitor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisasst

Minister of Fire
Aug 13, 2008
cortland ny
The ignitor on my ef2 doesn't work. Where do I begin to check to see what the problem may be, if it is the fuse or the ignitor itself?
I was looking at ignitors on woodheatstoves.com and they are very costly.
I have been lighting it manually, but my goodness it is hard to stay lit. Never had such a hard time manually lighting before.

I used to use a propane torch with push button start
Like the Bernz-o-matic TS4000
My EF-2 never had an igniter.
I'd throw in a handful of pellets.
Hit it with the torch until the flames went from blue to yellow and started building on the sides (about 20 seconds)
Then close the door.

It worked for me for 4 years.

Good luck,
---Nailer---

I use gel, and tried a torch. takes about 5 minutes to get a good fire going to turn it on.

chrisasst said:
The ignitor on my ef2 doesn't work. Where do I begin to check to see what the problem may be, if it is the fuse or the ignitor itself?
I was looking at ignitors on woodheatstoves.com and they are very costly.
I have been lighting it manually, but my goodness it is hard to stay lit. Never had such a hard time manually lighting before.

It is probably the ignitor. You can unclip the 2 white ignitor wires in the back and put an ohm meter on the two clips.

If you know the wattage and are familiar with ohms law then you can calculate the resistance that the ohm meter should read for a good ignitor.

R = E**2/P

So R = 115 squared divided by 300 = 44 ohms.

So if the meter reads about 44 ohms the igniter is good, if not then buy a new one.

I bought one at Mountain View Hearth Products
http://www.stove-parts-unlimited.com/Enviro_and_Vistaflame_300W_Ignitor_p/50-1067.htm

If you call them and ask for the techie's discount they will give you 10% off their price on their web site.

However if you are really ambitious, you can buy a heater cartridge and if the case or housing on the ignitor is still good. You can pull the heating element and install a cartridge for $21.00 by drilling 3 holes on the side and using some screws as set screws, holding the cartridge in the middle of the case by equally tightening the screws. Like the lamp shades on a ceiling light.
See Igniter Heaven Post
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/78371/

PS. Fishing the igniter wires thru the holes in the stove frame is a real PITA but I used a metal coat hanger and that worked out great!!

See pic below.

Attachments

• EnviroIgniter300w.jpg
    EnviroIgniter300w.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 303
Status
Not open for further replies.