Enviro EF2 insert circa 1997 and other newbie questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ewalthier1

Nov 15, 2014
Bethlehem, PA
First of all, I'd like to say that I LOVE the idea of heating my whole house with pellets instead of dead dinosaurs. But I have some questions and issues.

I moved into a house that already has an Enviro EF2 insert, my first stove. A local technician convinced me to fix some things with it rather than buy something new. I probably spent around $600 replacing the auger motor and main blower fan. The stove also needed a couple little tweaks to get it in good shape. After this work I find out that the insert is undersized for my house. Rated at 1,500 sq ft, house is 2,000. Here are my issues:

I don't know if it's feeding pellets properly. With the convection blower turned down, I can hear when the auger rotates. Sometimes it will go up to four or five turns before anything comes out. When something does come out, it can be a huge handful two turns in a row, or just a couple pellets. This can cause the flame to vary a decent amount. Normal? In a question specific to this model, if there's any users out there, could you estimate how many seconds pass between rotations on the auger at high and low settings? Even at the low setting it turns more than I would expect. Maybe the new motor is the wrong one? Maybe my potentiometer is going? There is a difference in settings, don't get me wrong. The high setting throws out so many pellets that I probably can't even use it without burning up the stove. Maybe I'm just not used to how hot it can safely get.

The way it's feeding, I can get 21.5 hours out of a bag on almost the lowest setting (just above the blue zone). That seems like a lot based on some posts here. I would think I could easily get through 24hrs on a very low setting.

Also, staying right in between medium and low, the convection blower automatically goes to high (safety feature) so if I go anywhere near the higher setting, I think the auger turns off (safety feature).

If I am pushing a smaller unit too hard, am I losing efficiency? DO you get more heat per pound of pellets out of a larger stove because it has a larger heat exchanger, or do you have to burn through a proportionally higher amount of pellets for that increase in heat output?

I know there are a lot of variables which is why I tried to stay away from how many bags to keep the house at x degrees when it's y degrees outside etc.

Sorry for the long post....

Took me a while to find the post, and I just read it yesterday! This will give you answers to some of your questions, and links to a troubleshooting guide: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/envirofire-pellet-stove-technical-question.21505/

I'm another newb, with a new-to-me 1996 Enviro "EF-III Bay" which looks remarkably like an Enviro EF2. I had the seller demo it through start up, operation, and shutdown so I know it works properly. Getting it installed this weekend, I hope.

These old Enviro stoves are considered to be relatively solid, good "learner" stoves if you want to tinker a bit (and oh, I will). At any rate, I can't imagine that your problems are a matter of you pushing the stove too hard. If it's not enough stove for the house, my guess is the result would be just that your main heat supply will run more. The stove will probably still save you money and give you enjoyment, once it's properly running.

You haven't mentioned what your flame looks like, or whether you've adjusted the damper at all. Without a good flame, you can experience a host of issues. If the flame is "lazy" or blow-torch like, it's not close to right. Adjust your damper. This is what is should look like:

One thing I've already learned, it is normal for some turns of the auger to deliver more pellets than others. Pellet size and variability can increase that.

I got very lucky, somehow. Bought a craigslist stove that I know is worth less than what I paid dollar-wise, but I'm buying from a former store owner, NFI-certified, and he's already spent about 3 hours with me making sure I'm going to be happy with my 18-year-old stove. My best recommendation would be to get someone local with some knowledge and experience on your side. There are some very good folks in this industry. Maybe look around for another tech.

Thanks for the links and reply. I've been busy and haven't had time to click on the link yet, but I appreciate your comments and help. Hopefully I can check them out tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.