enviro ef3 free standing unit shuts off

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stinger68

Nov 30, 2008
cape breton N.S Canada
Hi my enviro ef3 stove is giving me problems now,i got home last night and looked in burn box and it was down to about 2 red embers in the burn pot and some new pellets around inside the burn pot.I emptied the burn pot and waited a few minutes and restarted it and tried twice and it would not ignite and the pellets were filling the burn pot.I tried again and the stove ignited and seems to burn fine nice flame and all.I woke this morning to a cold house and no pellet stove working now? there are fresh pellets in the burn pot and thats it where do i point myself to fix my problem?The stove is not dirty i clean it on a regular basis-could it be the exaust blower?

stinger68 said:
Hi my enviro ef3 stove is giving me problems now,i got home last night and looked in burn box and it was down to about 2 red embers in the burn pot and some new pellets around inside the burn pot.I emptied the burn pot and waited a few minutes and restarted it and tried twice and it would not ignite and the pellets were filling the burn pot.I tried again and the stove ignited and seems to burn fine nice flame and all.I woke this morning to a cold house and no pellet stove working now? there are fresh pellets in the burn pot and thats it where do i point myself to fix my problem?The stove is not dirty i clean it on a regular basis-could it be the exaust blower?

Check for pellets or fines stuck in the feed system partially blocking the feed, this could be in the auger flight, the bootom of the auger, or at the top where the drop tube starts.

I'd also check the termination cap on the venting as that tends to both get dirty and get missed when cleaning, this can raise havoc with the vacuum usually this stops the feed (if it is intermittent then the stove can slowly run out of burning pellets in the burn pot).

Your combustion blower could also have too much ash on its blades, between the impeller and the motor mount, in the blower cavity, between the cavity and the venting or between the cavity and the heat exchanger, be sure to have a replacement gasket on hand before you remove the blower.

Also maybe your draft is a smidge too high.

Also ensure the burn pot liner is firmly pressed to the igniter tube.

If not tight it will have a hard time transferring the heat to light the pellets.

---Nailer---

Hi what is the termination cap on the venting that you mentioned? my stove pipe goes up through my celing and out my roof i could not put stive on an outside wall.I just did a pipe cleaning in my attic prior to this years burning season and the pipe is clear.I have to angle pipes(45) because of pipe placement in attic so i open the pipes in attic every year to make sure they are clean.I dont mind buying a part but dont wanna replace if not needed.I will take exaust blower off again tonight and see if its dirty but i dont think so.The stove probably will fire back up but will it stay lit im not sure so i will clean exaust i guess and also clean the bottom clean out on the exaust pipe also.Will the exaust sensor cause this problem?Is there a way to rule out a sensor or jump it until i get a new 1 its gonna be cold tonight.

stinger68 said:
Hi what is the termination cap on the venting that you mentioned? my stove pipe goes up through my celing and out my roof i could not put stive on an outside wall.I just did a pipe cleaning in my attic prior to this years burning season and the pipe is clear.I have to angle pipes(45) because of pipe placement in attic so i open the pipes in attic every year to make sure they are clean.I dont mind buying a part but dont wanna replace if not needed.I will take exaust blower off again tonight and see if its dirty but i dont think so.The stove probably will fire back up but will it stay lit im not sure so i will clean exaust i guess and also clean the bottom clean out on the exaust pipe also.Will the exaust sensor cause this problem?Is there a way to rule out a sensor or jump it until i get a new 1 its gonna be cold tonight.

The termination is the very last piece of the venting it is also known as a cap. I lot of folks remove it to get to the rest of the venting but never actually clean it. So it can get quite plugged.

Those vacuum switches rarely are the problem, a good number of folks replace them only to have thew same problem right after replacing them.

I never recommend run a stove with the vacuum switch jumpered except to verify it is indeed a vacuum related issue. It isn't safe to operate in the mode otherwise.

ok i dont mean to sound stupid but you mean the cover outside the rain cover on my roof that is the last piece of pipe and not the clean out on the bottom of the pipe behind my stove.PS thanks so much for all your time and knowlede this is why i love this site.

stinger68 said:
ok i dont mean to sound stupid but you mean the cover outside the rain cover on my roof that is the last piece of pipe and not the clean out on the bottom of the pipe behind my stove.PS thanks so much for all your time and knowlede this is why i love this site.

Yes the one at the top that is a vertical termination cap, there are several different styles depending on the vent manufacturer used.

i'll guess that the damper is open a hair too much. too much air moving over the ignitor=not getting quite hot enough sometimes to light. when it does light, its just burning up faster than its feeding. give it a little tap-tap-tap-aroo and see what that does for you.

Could be Delta-T, the list of possibilities has barely been touched.

Additional items in no particular order include.

Misaligned auger (sloppy stuff at either or both ends).

Loose auger to auger motor coupling.

Loose auger motor on its mount.

Failing auger motor.

Crud in the bushings.

Bent auger.

I had the same problem with my EF3 a month ago.I pulled the stove apart(fake brick,exhaust blower,rear firebox panels) and vaced everything out.Took a toothbrush to the exhaust blower vanes.It burnt fine after that.

stinger68 said:
ok thanks i will try a complete tear down and cleaning of stove tonight and try that and hope for the best.Thanks for all the great advice guys.I will post results after cleaning.

Plenty of things to check that's for certain.

Status
Not open for further replies.