Enviro EF5 Ignitor Tube

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have tried two different brand of pellets this year.... The current brand New England Pellets; many people I know are burning them and they work great... I have tried mine twice this morning and I don't even get smoke... Igniter is bright orange... My burn pot and liner are as far forward as they will go... I just think the tube is too far away from the liner and the heat from the iginter is escaping before it reaches the pellets...

CFossNH said:
I have tried two different brand of pellets this year.... The current brand New England Pellets; many people I know are burning them and they work great... I have tried mine twice this morning and I don't even get smoke... Igniter is bright orange... My burn pot and liner are as far forward as they will go... I just think the tube is too far away from the liner and the heat from the iginter is escaping before it reaches the pellets...

ok,give me a few minutes.i'll shut mine back down and see id i an see how close mine is ok

I think I found my 1/8" gap... The bottom grate is rotated 1/8" clockwise making the igniter 1/8" further away. You can actually see the outline of my burnpot in the ash. It is further away on the right side. 3 1/2" from the back on the right and 3 3/8" from the back on the left... Does anyone know if this grate can be twisted back?

Attachments

• P1040061.jpg
    P1040061.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 184
  • P1040065.jpg
    P1040065.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 195
  • Meas.jpg
    Meas.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 187
CFossNH said:
I think I found my 1/8" gap... The bottom grate is rotated 1/8" clockwise making the igniter 1/8" further away. You can actually see the outline of my burnpot in the ash. It is further away on the right side. 3 1/2" from the back on the right and 3 3/8" from the back on the left... Does anyone know if this grate can be twisted back?

I think your looking at it the wrong way.Your measuring from the fake brick and that might not be sitting tite.The brick in mine has a slight angle in it.It's tighter to the back on the left side than the right by a hair.I looked at gap between the liner and the tube and mine has about a 1/32 gap btween them.of course that's a eyeball guess.Here's som pics of the burn pot in relation to the firebox

Attachments

• ruler 1.jpg
    ruler 1.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 184
  • ruler 2.jpg
    ruler 2.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 170
Your burn pot is further out than mine - which doesn't make any sense. On your picture on the right you show 1 3/4" from burn pot to outside frame. I have 1 7/8" from burn pot to outside frame. Your tube is defenitly closer. Mine is 1/8" Plus from tube to liner. I appreciate all your help today. I'm not sure what to do... There is clearly something wrong on my stove....

One thing i notice is your the air outlet on your's protrudes further into the burn pot than mine.I don't know if that indicates anything or not.you can try telling your dealer your going to start bad mouthing his buisness around the area.That might get a rise out of him

I noticed that too with the air inlet.... I have already started the bad mouthing, but that hasn't even gotten a rise out of him... I need to get in touch with Enviro, but that seems impossible. I will try the distriubtor again on Monday. Thanks again

Update...

The distributor finally got me in touch with a tech at Sherwood Industries (Manufacturer of Enviro) We have determined that the flange on the igniter tube was welded on the wrong side. The distributor in Massachusettes was supposed to send me a new tube and a new burn pot liner on Monday. Its is now Friday and I still have no parts. Called the Distributor and they said they were shipped from Canada, but they have no confirmation of shipment... Called the tech back at Sherwood and he was a complete A-Hole because I asked him for a tracking number. He told me to call the distributor...

I have never seen such a poorly run company as Enviro (as a whole (Manufacturer, Distribution, Dealer). Absolutely no customer service skills - I should say Could care less about the customer once they have your money. I can't believe they are still in business.... I hope for other people out there that you have a better experience getting a pellet stove than I have...

I personally will never buy another Enviro product again.

CFossNH said:
I'm pretty much out of ideas.... urkiddin; does your burn pot have little rectangular feel on the bottom of it?

I haven't been able to get any help from the dealer or distributor.... The dealer's attitude is you bought, you own it; not my problem... The distributor is barely any better saying you need to deal with your dealer... I have filed this claim before christmas... and still no resolution nor has anyone offered to send out a tech to look at it... are all the dealers like this; I would guess no as they seem to be selling stoves.

First, we have to make sure that your igniter is getting hot enough, simple, take it out and power it with 120v in a pair of vice grips and watch it illuminate. it should have at LEAST 3" of solid orange at LEAST 1/2" from the tip.

Second, you need to make sure that the weep hole by which the igniter draws air in across the cartridge is not covered by insulation

Third, your burn grate needs to be sitting flush against the end of the tube., if not, see if your grate has warped. If not, your igniter may have lost its strength to be able to supply enough heat to compensate for the distance your set up may have had since the beginning :p OR your stove is not pulling enough air in through the air box. All door and ash pan seals need to be looked at.

If all of this fails, you may be able to slip a small length of pipe over the igniter port to make up the distance to the burn grate or you may need a new igniter or you could make yourself up a forced ignition system utilizing a air fish pump, some hose a fitting.

Hope that helps.

smwilliamson: Thanks for the reply... Checked all of that... The igniter is bright orange. From the flange on the tube, one end should be longer than the other; I have the short end facing into the firebox. This can't be turned around because the weld is on the wrong side of the flange. That is leaving to much of a gap between the end of the tube and the liner... Currently I'm waiting on a new tube and a liner.

Status
Not open for further replies.