Enviro Empress burn pot Modification

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DBow

Sep 27, 2015
Newfoundland Canada
I see people on here and a few posts about engilander owners blocking to two combustion inlet air ports in the burn pot with steel wool etc I was thinking about doing the same sorta thing, but in the case of an enviro only blocking off one of the two large holes, the right side port as the left is for the igniter. By doing this Im hoping to reduce the amount of ash building up in the burn pot by forcing more air through the smaller holes in the burn pot liner.

Has any one tried this with an Enviro stove? Any thoughts, suggestions or concerns?

Thanks

Are you talking about blocking the 1-1/4 inch pipe (right side) that the burn pot sits on? That is the path for intake air flow into the burnpot and up through the burnpot holes to expel ash out of the burn pot liner. I would not advise this. This tube also houses the vacuum tube for the vacuum switch to read vacuum in the stove. This would tend to make me think more ash will build up in the burnpot, if you reduce the air flow through the burnpot. If you are having excessive ash buildup, I'd maybe open the air damper a bit more to increase air flow through the stove. Another factor might be pellet quality, some pellets produce more ash. Lastly, total airflow through the stove which pertains to the overall cleanliness of the stove and its exhaust path. Again, I would not block any air intake flow through the stove.

Are you talking about blocking the 1-1/4 inch pipe (right side) that the burn pot sits on? That is the path for intake air flow into the burnpot and up through the burnpot holes to expel ash out of the burn pot liner. I would not advise this. This tube also houses the vacuum tube for the vacuum switch to read vacuum in the stove. This would tend to make me think more ash will build up in the burnpot, if you reduce the air flow through the burnpot. If you are having excessive ash buildup, I'd maybe open the air damper a bit more to increase air flow through the stove. Another factor might be pellet quality, some pellets produce more ash. Lastly, total airflow through the stove which pertains to the overall cleanliness of the stove and its exhaust path. Again, I would not block any air intake flow through the stove.

Hi Stovelark to clarify i was referring to the 1/2" holes in the burn pot liner

Oh ok- so sorry, that does make more sense now. I still wouldn't think it would increase the blowing out of more ash, but hey I'm not certain it wouldn't either-

Oh ok- so sorry, that does make more sense now. I still wouldn't think it would increase the blowing out of more ash, but hey I'm not certain it wouldn't either-

Hi Stovelark I just tried to play with my slide damper and it is stuck, have you ever heard of this problem before? In afraid to pull on it too hard, i don't want to break anything.

that's common on all enviro's. whats happened is you have a build up of ash on either side of the slider. the factory reccomends that you back off the bolts holding the exhaust housing to the body and take the slider out and clean it. I usally tap it in both directions until it starts moving

Reactions: Tech Guru
I started with a 25pdv. Did many mods to the wear plate to get a better cleaner pot.
Now i have a enviro ef5 and i see no need to modify the pot at all with decent pellets. Get the damper loosened up and adjust it accordingly. It needs to be adjusted every time i dump in a diff pellet. Some pellets need alot more air than others. With Good pellets my damper is almost closed off.. with my crappy pellets its open a fair amount and still ashes up pretty quick.
If all else fails maybe get some better pellets.?.

Yeah, just tap on it to loosen it up- is your Empress FS got the air damper rod to adjust externally, or do you have to remove side panel and has a slider?? I don't work on many Empress FSers, can't remember if its the Windsor I'm referring to (the model prior to the Empress) with the internal adjustment slider..... I do know the current version has the air damper rod, nicer way to adjust it too.

that's common on all enviro's. whats happened is you have a build up of ash on either side of the slider. the factory reccomends that you back off the bolts holding the exhaust housing to the body and take the slider out and clean it. I usally tap it in both directions until it starts moving

Thanks skinanbones I've got it free'd up, a couple of taps and a pry with the hammer. I've opened the damper 1/4" using Allen keys as a gauge. How long should i expect to go between burn pot liner cleanings? I've gone 3 days / 2 bags since Ive had the door open and the pot liner and glass aren't too bad. I think I may need to close it just a little more, perhaps try 7/32. what do you think?

Yeah, just tap on it to loosen it up- is your Empress FS got the air damper rod to adjust externally, or do you have to remove side panel and has a slider?? I don't work on many Empress FSers, can't remember if its the Windsor I'm referring to (the model prior to the Empress) with the internal adjustment slider..... I do know the current version has the air damper rod, nicer way to adjust it too.

Thanks for the reply stovelark! My Empress has the easier style for adjustment. How long should I expect / aim for in between burn pot liner and glass cleanings? I'm up to 3 days / 2 bags after opening up the damper 1/4" . I think i may need to close it a little for efficiency, what do you think?

I started with a 25pdv. Did many mods to the wear plate to get a better cleaner pot.
Now i have a enviro ef5 and i see no need to modify the pot at all with decent pellets. Get the damper loosened up and adjust it accordingly. It needs to be adjusted every time i dump in a diff pellet. Some pellets need alot more air than others. With Good pellets my damper is almost closed off.. with my crappy pellets its open a fair amount and still ashes up pretty quick.
If all else fails maybe get some better pellets.?.

Thanks Cedarjunk, Ive free'd it up and opened it up 1/4" now I wonder if that was too much. having said that I used to build up a volcano of ash in a couple of hours, now I'm up to 3 days / 2 bags and no volcano yet!

Hi dbow- best way to adjust air damper is visually looking at flame/or by magnehelic. Visually, pushed in all the way, the flame should be lazier and tallish, orangey in color. All the way out, flame will be whitish, short and very active, like a blow torch. Adjust air damper to where it just starts slowing down, elongating flame but with still bright flame color. Youtube has the various flame pictures, but they always seem to be more optimal looking than most of our stoves... Good luck with it, sounds like you are on track.

just keep your eye on it, any where from 2 -4 days between cleanings seems to be normal. That being said with the right fuel we have been able to get 7 days.

just keep your eye on it, any where from 2 -4 days between cleanings seems to be normal. That being said with the right fuel we have been able to get 7 days.

Running an enviro evolution.
Sh**tty pellets i go about 3 days before "needing" to shut down and vaccuum/empty the ash pan.
Good pellets (my good ones at the moment are soft wood) i average 7 days before emptying the ash pan.
Thats burning a bag in 24 hour period. So 7 days for 7 bags.

Status
Not open for further replies.