Enviro Empress door hinge pins

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Just a note and a word to the wise to the rest of the Empress owners here... You might want to periodically check the hinge pins on the big front door (the decorative one that swings aside so you can get to the firebox).

Learn from my mistake, here...

I was having 'funny problems' with my door over the last few weeks:

- Wouldn't stay open
- Hard to close: it didn't close quite right, but it did stay closed OK
- Generally acting like the stove wasn't level
- Creaking (that should have tipped me off, but I thought it was just a cinder in the hinge)

And the other morning I opened the door, and it fell off! :bug:

Fortunately it fell on something soft and stupid - me. No damage to the stove or the door, but it did test my fortitude in getting it back on. :p

What I think happened is that the hinge pins are installed dry and they just gradually worked their way out of the door hinge. The grinding noise was probably the bottom of the door resting not on the washer that's supposed to be underneath it, but on the casting itself - hence the misaligned door and all the other symptoms.

So now I periodically check the round-head "pins" that form the door hinges. I noticed that after I gave them a shot of Marvel Mystery Oil they stay seated better.

Hope this helps someone else.

Steamguy

Status
Not open for further replies.