Enviro Empress FS - convection blower on at start, then slows and stops

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HikerLT

Jan 25, 2015
new hampshire
Looking for advice

We have the enviro EMpress FS Free-standing pellet stove

it's about 6 years old.

The convection fan room blower doesn't seem to work according to the service manual description.

When first starting the stove, it appears to be turning at a good speed ( and also making squeaky noises....bearing going ?).

As the stove flame gets going and the stove gets hot, that long convection blower appears to run slower and eventually come to a full stop.

I would assume you want this running as much as possible, to force air over the stove and get the hot air out into the room..

According to the service manual, at start-up, the convection fan should NOT be running, and then as the stove heats up, it will THEN turn on.....

Some other things we noticed :

The Flame intensity over the past week or so was getting slower and slower, and we found we had to pull the air damper out more and more to get air in....finally we had it out all the way and still had a "lazy flame".
I assumed the exhaust fan blower was probably going bad, and ordered a new one ( ouch ..$200+ and arrives next week). However, as I was looking around in there with the panel off, and knocking around with the vacuum cleaner hose to get all the dust....now it seems the flame is burning real good and we almost have to push the air damper all the way IN now. Did I knock debris loose inside the exhaust blower housing ??

Looking for advice and suggestions...

Thanks !

LT

Last edited:
Sounds like the stove needs a very good cleaning and maybe some attention to the room fan. Chasing out dust bunnies from fan motor windings is a must.
Some stoves need a weekly shut down and intense cleaning of the stove and venting. Others may give you some tips on proper cleaning of your model of stove and lead you to videos too.
Welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.