Enviro Empress fs convection fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

2006empress

Nov 18, 2015
Sharon, MA
I've got a 10 year old Enviro Empress fs. I've had it for just one season. It works great, but there's a whining noise that kicks in when the stove gets up to temp. It seems like it's probably the convection blower, without oil ports.

Are there instructions anywhere for how to remove and replace this unit? I've been googling around and searching the forums but can't find any.

Thanks,

Enviro manuals are here for your stove http://enviro.com/media/manuals/?fam=Empress_FS
The convection motor is ported for oil
two D holes on opposed sides 2drops of 3 in
1 oil will help . If not very easy to change out

My understanding is that the insert has the lubrication ports, but not the free standing unit. The manuals say nothing about lubrication. Are you certain that the FS stoves do actually have lubrication ports?

Mine does . they are not marked just a D hole at both end 1 to 2 drops of oil
once a year . my fan is original and 15 years old . New fans are the same motor
no oil holes on combustion motor on my 3rd one .

The Combustion fan on my gas furnace started squealing after 15 years. I took it out and was able to squirt some oil onto the bearings at the shaft. Spun it around a few times and oiled it again. Cleaned it up and put it back in. Still running quietly after 3 more years. Maybe you could try the same thing after you clean it up and inspect it. If the bearings are and shaft are loose/ or worse then a replacement is needed.
Ron

That's an Empbast blower which can be serviced. You'll find that the outer tangential bushing may be worn or clogged with dander and the shaft of the motor where it passes through the frame bushing also have some corrosion or dirt on em. 5-10 minutes to do a servicing clean of the blower should bring it back. It's a Very low RPM motor that usually just needs some love. I won't lie, It's a puzzle to tear it apart and rebuild it. Good luck

I've got a 10 year old Enviro Empress fs. I've had it for just one season. It works great, but there's a whining noise that kicks in when the stove gets up to temp. It seems like it's probably the convection blower, without oil ports.

Are there instructions anywhere for how to remove and replace this unit? I've been googling around and searching the forums but can't find any.

Thanks,

Hey. I just saw your posts about your squeaking convection fan. How did you make out? I have an Empress-A-FS. Bought new in. 2011... I was having the same issue... what I found is that new ones were $250... there are no oil ports.... so I took out(2 screws on each end) Then carefully took the red rubber end cap off and put some good gear lube in(or find a suitable lube) and popped it back on... the first couple times I just was afraid to take out the red rubber bushing so I just put few drops of PB Blaster, but that would only last a few weeks so finally I took it out carefully. And lubed with better grease and it lasts a long time. One of these days I hope to replace and keep old one as backup. Hope this helps. Keith (I only lubed the outer bushing. Inside one seems fine and didn't want to risk taking apart).

Hey. I just saw your posts about your squeaking convection fan. How did you make out? I have an Empress-A-FS. Bought new in. 2011... I was having the same issue... what I found is that new ones were $250... there are no oil ports.... so I took out(2 screws on each end) Then carefully took the red rubber end cap off and put some good gear lube in(or find a suitable lube) and popped it back on... the first couple times I just was afraid to take out the red rubber bushing so I just put few drops of PB Blaster, but that would only last a few weeks so finally I took it out carefully. And lubed with better grease and it lasts a long time. One of these days I hope to replace and keep old one as backup. Hope this helps. Keith (I only lubed the outer bushing. Inside one seems fine and didn't want to risk taking apart).

IMG_0116.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.