Enviro Empress FS Potential Convection Blower Upgrade

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NTabb

Jan 26, 2016
Shepherdstown, WV
First post here so take it easy on me. I bought an Enviro Empress this year and the stove works great, but I can't believe how weak the convection blower is. It blows really hot air, but if you're three to four feet in front of it you can't feel it.Is this normal for that stove, and if it is has anyone found a blower with slightly more CFM like 160 instead of the 105 that will fit in it? I understand you don't want too big of a blower from potentially cooling it too much, but I wouldn't think with my limited expertise that an extra 50 or so CFM would hurt. Also the fan is very clean and spins freely with no noise. Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum ... We haven't verbally bashed anyone in a long while but we could make an exception ;lol;lol Kidding!

I came across mention of a replacement exhaust blower that is quieter than the original ... https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...wer-replacement-for-enviro-exhaust-fan.89391/

Not sure how far you are wanting to move warm air but air will generate it's own convection loop. Most have found that a fan on the floor pushing cold air towards the stove will help that loop. Let us know if you find something that works...

I had the earlier similar model called the Windsor and I always thought the airflow on it was low also. Always seemed colder in an adjacent room. When I changed over to a Harman p38 and installed an OAK kit it was much warmer. Good luck finding a stronger fan.

OAK kit it was much warmer
OAK makes a difference in allowing less air infiltration through weak spots in the building envelope so it will feel warmer as there are less cold drafts.

NTabb, do you have an OAK? Not that it will help with the CFM issue but less BTUs needed due to less cold air moving in...

This one may Fit . do a little more investigation
it 273 cfm
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181834044920?rmvSB=true

This one does fit but only 135 cfm
Rotom
HB-RBM121
You will have to look it up I have no Web site for it

Pretty sure the free standing model uses a diff type of blower.. i know my evolution does anyways. It would be way too easy if those blowers fit mine

Your post heading says you have a FS = Free Standing
If it is an insert then it is a different type

Your post heading says you have a FS = Free Standing
If it is an insert then it is a different type

The link you posted above is for an insert model. Fr model uses this style 71eQfsoranL._SL1500_.jpg

OAK makes a difference in allowing less air infiltration through weak spots in the building envelope so it will feel warmer as there are less cold drafts.

NTabb, do you have an OAK? Not that it will help with the CFM issue but less BTUs needed due to less cold air moving in...

No OAK kit has been installed. I may look into to doing that once the weather warms up. I put a rheostat on the convection blower and removed it from the circuit board and that seems to work a little better as far as getting the air moving. Still I think its just a small CFM blower for that stove.

I'm going to start another thread on this one, but another potential issue is I can have the damper closed and still have a very active flame. I have the generation 1 circuit board (2006 I believe) with with no combustion trim, but why would the flame still be "torch like" with a closed damper? The stove is connected to a tee with a 4" liner 25' up a chimney. Any thoughts?

I'm going to start another thread on this one, but another potential issue is I can have the damper closed and still have a very active flame. I have the generation 1 circuit board (2006 I believe) with with no combustion trim, but why would the flame still be "torch like" with a closed damper? The stove is connected to a tee with a 4" liner 25' up a chimney. Any thoughts?

I am going to say because you are burning a very good pellet. X brand i need to open the damper up over half way. Y brand i need to be just slightly from closed. Y brand is my good pellet

Hamer's Hot Ones. From what I've been told they're supposed to be pretty good.

That i have heard. They dont make it up my way so i cant say.

If you were burning a dirtier pellet you would know since it would need alot more air to burn good.

With a 4" vent and 25' straight up, you have a real high pull for "natural" draft.... and proper venting for a chimney. The good pellet just adds a bonus. I can't recall offhand whether there are fine tune adjustments on your exhaust blower and pellet feed with that stove. I know on mine, you can make slight corrections + or - so check your manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.