Enviro Empress insert question (type of pellets)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

davevassar

Oct 30, 2007
South Central MA
This will be my first full season with my Empress insert. We had it installed in March. I've been trying different pellets. This stove seems to be picky. I have used a few different brands. Mainly bought at Lowes and Home Depot. All so far have been premiuim hardwood.
When we first had the stove installed, they gave us bags of L&G;granules.
I believe the L&G;are softwood. They seemed to burn hotter, and produce less ash. The few different hrdwood pellets I've tried recently, don't seem to burn as hot.

Anyone else have a simlar Enviro pellet stove and see similar results?

just as an FYI, I just stopped at a local stove store, and he recommended Barefoot pellets. Anyone heard of them? I grabbed a bag to try. He also recommended staing away from Lowes and HD for pellets...

I just bought an Empress Fireplace insert. I live in MD and am using Lignetics Premium Wood Pellets. Does anyone have any idea how quickly the empress burns through pellets per setting (i.e. x lbs/hour on setting x). I've been told by my installer that the stove does 4lbs/hour on setting #5. Therefore a 40lb bag should last 10 hours. I'm wondering if setting the Empress at #2 would double the time period per bag. I've looked through the manual and haven't found anything indicating burn rate per setting. I would think that the burn rate also has a bit to do with the type of pellet one is burning, however i would think a premium pellet (less than 1% ash) should all burn within a given time range. If anyone has any information, it would be appreciated.

smithmal

davevassar said:
This will be my first full season with my Empress insert. We had it installed in March. I've been trying different pellets. This stove seems to be picky. I have used a few different brands. Mainly bought at Lowes and Home Depot. All so far have been premiuim hardwood.
When we first had the stove installed, they gave us bags of L&G;granules.
I believe the L&G;are softwood. They seemed to burn hotter, and produce less ash. The few different hrdwood pellets I've tried recently, don't seem to burn as hot.

Anyone else have a simlar Enviro pellet stove and see similar results?

I have an Enviro meridian insert. My stove works good on Bearfoot, Comfort, and L&G;granules. I've had problems with PA Pellets, possibly a bad lot, but they are very ashy and don't burn as hot.

I have installed the enviro empress insert last fall. It appears that it burns 1 bag for about 12 hours at 4 setting. I have tries lignetics, stove chow and fireside ultra premium pellets. I got lignetics from local hardware store ($4.75 per bag in august, 2008 and $5.79 in January 2009) and stove chow and fireside from Home Depot. Lignetics burn clean and need to clean about once a week. Both stove chow and fireside burns very dirty and need to be cleaned in about 3 days. The stove chow and fireside burn time is less than lignetics.

Status
Not open for further replies.