Enviro Empress - Pellet Venting Regulations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skylerporter2112

Oct 25, 2015
Delta, Utah
Hi, I am putting in my new pellet stove and I need some advice. In my manual and in other places it has said that I just need to make sure the rain cap is 24" above where the vent exits the roof. I have read elsewhere though that it must be 2' above and 10' from the highest point of the roof. I have seen both things that say this. The issue is that my roof is A frame and the roof is very steep. I am wondering if I can just run it up to 24" minimum or if I really have to run it clear up to that other height which would be very high. When I bought the home there already is a hole for the vertical venting so I just need to know what my options with regulation? Please help thanks!

As I understand the rule........
Your vent must terminate 3' above the actual roof penetration on the high side and...
Your vent termination must be 2' above anything within 10'.

Your vent must be able to flow exhaust gasses freely in all wind directions.
Your "A" frame might make that difficult depending on where you penetrate the roof line.

Your Best bet is to check with your local inspector to make sure you are within code compliance. In my town it was the fire inspector.

Better to check with them first before making any difficult fixes later.
And your insurance company will probably want to see your inspection certificate.

FYI....
From http://www.fireplacesnow.com/tentwo.asp
The 10-Foot/2-Foot Rule
This rule is frequently misunderstood or ignored, and many people have drafting problems with their fireplaces because of that. This rule is fairly simple, and must be followed in every vented fireplace installation.

National Fuel Gas Code, ANSI Z223.1, Section 10.5.2.1, states the rule: "A chimney for residential-type or low-heat gas utilization equipment shall extend at least 3 ft. (0.9 m) above the highest point where it passes through a roof of a building and at least 2 ft. (0.6 m) higher than any portion of a building within a horizontal distance of 10 ft. (3 m)."

The basic rule is this: the bottom of the vent termination must clear the roof penetration point (the upper edge) by at least 3 feet; further, the bottom of any fireplace vent termination must clear anything within a 10 foot radius by at least 2 feet. This includes: the peak of the house, parapet, dormer, chimney, or spire. The following diagrams illustrate this rule.

1) This image (though not exactly to scale) demonstrates that the flue terminates 3 feet above the highest penetration of the roof. It also clears the ridge of the roof by 2 feet, since the peak is within 10 feet of the flue termination:

10-2b.gif

2) If the flue terminates beyond 10 feet from the ridge of the roof, the flue must simply clear the upper penetration of the roof by 3 feet. Notice that the flue still terminates 2 feet above the roof at the 10 foot perimeter:

10-2d.gif

3) In a flat-roof installation, the flue penetrates the roof more than 10 feet from the parapet. It terminates 3 feet above the penetration point, without regard to the height of the parapet:

10-2c.gif

4) In this flat roof example, the same rules apply. In the diagram below, the flue on the right terminates within 10 feet of the parapet, so it must terminate 2 feet above the parapet height, as in Diagram B above. Notice the left flue on the neighboring building: it also terminates 2 feet above that same parapet, since it is also within 10 feet of that parapet:

10-2a.gif

Hope this helps,
---Nailer---

Hi, I am putting in my new pellet stove and I need some advice. In my manual and in other places it has said that I just need to make sure the rain cap is 24" above where the vent exits the roof. I have read elsewhere though that it must be 2' above and 10' from the highest point of the roof. I have seen both things that say this. The issue is that my roof is A frame and the roof is very steep. I am wondering if I can just run it up to 24" minimum or if I really have to run it clear up to that other height which would be very high. When I bought the home there already is a hole for the vertical venting so I just need to know what my options with regulation? Please help thanks!
You can run 24 up that's not an issue so long as the end of the vent is at least 7" horizontal from the roofing material which I gather it will be

You are the "Da Man" Scott.....I stand corrected.

You would know better than me for sure.

Thanks for info,
---Nailer---

Status
Not open for further replies.