Enviro empress squeaking fan?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

veronica

Jan 30, 2010
vermont
I have had my enviro empress stove for 3 years, i'm new to this site. It has just started to make a squeaking fan sound when started up. it usually goes away in an 1/2 hour. I have not read in the manual to oil anything. I keep my stove very clean. can some one help Thanks V

That area of the stove houses the combustion blower (information from your other posting).

Most combustion blower motors have sealed self lubricating bearings and do not need to be oiled.

What does need to be done though is to clean the crud off of the blades and from between the mounting plate and the blades.

This is at minimum an annual task but in actuality it is determined by the ash content produced by the pellets you burn and how good a burn you actually have while burning, it probably should be cleaned more frequently than annually.

When was yours last cleaned and how many pellets have been through the stove since that cleaning?

The manual on most stoves do not tell you much about cleaning and oil. Im sure there are 2 oil ports on your combustion blower. You should add 2 drops of 20wt. oil in each port. This should be done once or twice a season depending on how many pellets you use.

Thank you, My husband is going to open it up now and look. We burn Lignetics pellets, and have had no problems. i do a good cleaning, ie remove plates clean all dust and ash every ton burned, but we have never cleaned the blades of the blower or oiled it. We burn 4 tons a season. and have had it 2 seasons.

Veronica,

I have the older smaller 1/2-cousin to your stove :)

I pull my blowers off and clean them after every ton of pellets.

Have some mineral wool handy for gasketing material for the combustion blower.

If you have not cleaned your blowers in 3 years you probably have not pulled your stove apart to clean out behind the firebox. I also do this every ton.

I find the easiest way to deep clean the stove is to remove it from the house and used compressed air and a vacuum on the back porch or in the yard. I really open up all the areas of the stove and clean all the ash/crap out.

For the blowers I hit them with compressed air then soak the blades in mineral spirits. Then using and old toothbrush I clean the blades carefully (without bending them). Then I blow them dry with the air again. The combustion blower does not need oil as the bearings are sealed. The convection blower has 2 oil ports for 3 drops of light machinery oil (3 in 1 oil is what is commonly used) each.

Your stove will love you for it. And you should see a big improvement in your stoves performance.

Any questions....just ask.

Good Luck,
---Nailer---

nailed_nailer said:
Veronica,

I have the older smaller 1/2-cousin to your stove :)

I pull my blowers off and clean them after every ton of pellets.

Have some mineral wool handy for gasketing material for the combustion blower.

If you have not cleaned your blowers in 3 years you probably have not pulled your stove apart to clean out behind the firebox. I also do this every ton.

I find the easiest way to deep clean the stove is to remove it from the house and used compressed air and a vacuum on the back porch or in the yard. I really open up all the areas of the stove and clean all the ash/crap out.

For the blowers I hit them with compressed air then soak the blades in mineral spirits. Then using and old toothbrush I clean the blades carefully (without bending them). Then I blow them dry with the air again. The combustion blower does not need oil as the bearings are sealed. The convection blower has 2 oil ports for 3 drops of light machinery oil (3 in 1 oil is what is commonly used) each.

Your stove will love you for it. And you should see a big improvement in your stoves performance.

Any questions....just ask.

Good Luck,
---Nailer---

Fine right up until the recommend for 3 in 1 nailer, if you use 3 and 1 it should be the Blue and White can as that is 20 WT oil, the red and white 3 in 1 is not the recommended oil.

Smokey,

I beg to differ on the 3 in 1

From the Enviro Troubleshooting manual for the EF-2

Page 25
"Only use 1 or 2 drops of light oil SAE 20 or 3 in 1, an excess of oil does more harm than good"

http://www.envirofire.biz/images/manuals-brochures/tech-manuals/C-10800 Instruction PELLET Service Manual 2 of 2.pdf

Not saying a different oil would be better, but Enviro says 3 in 1 is OK. They don't specify Red or Blue Can.

***EDIT****
I just checked the 3 in 1 website and see The blue is equal to SAE 20 designed for electrical motors. So that is probably the better choice.
You'd think Enviro would specify.

I learn something new everyday, Never knew about the blue can 3 in 1. Don't think I have ever seen it (probably wasn't looking)

Thanks for the lesson,

---Nailer---

The Enviro stoves have a C fram type motor (like the auger Motor) NO oil ports
7429_161097038163_61927828163_2741637_5551708_n.jpg

and the Empress and the Windsor are the same BODY stove but the room air blowers are not the same.
this is the empress free standing room air blower and yes it will need to be pulled out of the stove once a year to be cleaned. More if you have pets
best to loosen the 11/32 nuts on the stoves right and then remove the 11/32 nuts on the stoves left (control Panel side) and pull the blower out from that side.

36e72035259b00f59abe1bcf12e27539.image.400x300.jpg

Sorry I dont have a photo of the Windsor blower

Hearth tools and Nailer, thank you. My husband just vacumed out the back side, was not that dirty, but feels uncomfortable to take out the blower. We have the enviro empress free standing. As far as putting oil in the 2 ports stated before, he cannot see these. Will he only see those if he takes the stove apart. When you say every ton, to clean the blower blades, just undo those bolts in the picturesa and slide it out?I is it that easy, very nervous , do not want to mess up our great stove!!!

nailed_nailer said:
Smokey,

I beg to differ on the 3 in 1

From the Enviro Troubleshooting manual for the EF-2

Page 25
"Only use 1 or 2 drops of light oil SAE 20 or 3 in 1, an excess of oil does more harm than good"

http://www.envirofire.biz/images/manuals-brochures/tech-manuals/C-10800 Instruction PELLET Service Manual 2 of 2.pdf

Not saying a different oil would be better, but Enviro says 3 in 1 is OK. They don't specify Red or Blue Can.

***EDIT****
I just checked the 3 in 1 website and see The blue is equal to SAE 20 designed for electrical motors. So that is probably the better choice.
You'd think Enviro would specify.

I learn something new everyday, Never knew about the blue can 3 in 1. Don't think I have ever seen it (probably wasn't looking)

Thanks for the lesson,

---Nailer---

Nailer,

On specificity in the manuals, yep in total agreement, at least the information about having to oil something is in your manual. A lot of manuals are silent on that and other important things such as exactly what annually means in terms of pellet consumption. I can guarantee that there is a huge difference between burning a ton of pellets and 6 tons when it comes to cleaning venting etc...

I know a lot of folks who have discovered the blue and white is the one to use the hard way, while in a pinch the red and white is fine however continued use will cause grief. I've always been cautious when reading the manuals that come with these stoves, they leave a lot to be desired. A number of motor manufacturers actually stamp the correct oil to use on the plate that provides the information about the motor. For warranty purposes it is what must be followed.

Veronica,

If your hubby doesn't want to do it called the folks you bought the stove from. I'm certain they'll do it for you or know who will.

Good Luck

the blowers on the empress DO NOT have oil ports.
t

hearthtools said:
the blowers on the empress DO NOT have oil ports.
t

Yes Rod, I wasn't talking about that stove in particular with stock blowers.

I was only telling Nailer that I agree with him on lack of specificity in manuals and that the final word on lubrication is actually with the motor manufacturer.

And my note to Veronica is about removing and cleaning the exhaust blower and its cavity.

Let try not to confused the original poster.
she said she could not find the oil ports.
I was pointing out there are non.

hearthtools said:
Let try not to confused the original poster.
she said she could not find the oil ports.
I was pointing out there are non.

Rod, here is what I was responding to Veronica about from https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewreply/574579/

"My husband just vacumed out the back side, was not that dirty, but feels uncomfortable to take out the blower."

My responses to nailer were to nailer and not to the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.