Enviro Empress very low flame problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron1111

Nov 4, 2009
[email protected]
Has anyone had a problem with the empress where the flame is very low or not even there at all. Everthing seems to work fine, such as the auger and ignitor but no matter what setting i have the stove on the flame isn't even visible. This is my first time starting the stove, any help would be appreciated. OK, thanks for the posts. I got it running but after watching it for a while, it seems that the burn pot just isn't getting enough pellets. My auguer will trun fine, but sometimes no pellets will come out after 2 or 3 cycles. And sometimes only 1 or 2 pellets come out. So what seems to be happening is whatever is in the burn pot gets burned up before enough pellets are being added, so the fire just dies out completely and the stove shuts off. The auger seems to be working fine. And I have the same problem when I put a lot of pellets in or just a little, so its not the amount of pellets in the bin thats the problem. Does anyone know how this auger is supposed to work? The manual isn't very specific. On a high setting, it turn for about 3 seconds, then stops for a few then starts again. But again, like i said sometimes pellets won't come out for a few turns of the auger. So sorry I bought this stove. Anyway, any ideas are appreciated before I have to try and sell it.

Aaron,

do you mean the first time starting THAT stove, or ANY pellet stove? And what do you mean the flame "isn't even visible"?

Need more facts...new stove or used? What pellets are you using? Exhaust flue set-up...what kind/how long, etc?

Its the first time with any pellet stove, and the flame doesn't even come up above the pellets in the burn pot. It seems the flame should be higher so I could see it. The stove is brand new, the pellets are high quality "clean fire" made by American Biomass.

Flame doesn't have to go above the burnpot. It depends on the stove, and the depth of the pot. usually the flames will be their highest during start-up, but the main thing is the heat output....is it heating the room(s) the way you thought it should?

My flames in my Englander go just about to the top of the burn pot when it's running normally after the initial "surge" at start-up.

I own the same stove and if your setting is below 3 it will do that, you can try adjusting the feed rate jumper on the board or (the trim jumper tho I still don't know what that does). Also are you giving it to much air I had to lower mine alot from what my install guy told me was normal, he told me to keep it in the middle about 50% open and it should be good and it wasn't, Mine is an insert and a pretty good down draft from chimney I think this might of been messing with mine at first and lowering helped with flame height and carbon build up on pot. I still would like to figure out why my flame goes up and down never one consistent flame . Search Enviro Empress on this forum about the issue some good info comes up.

Aaron,

Do you have an insert or freestanding? When I first got my stove in April 08, although I loved it, the flame I had on 1 or 2 rarely went above the burn pot. In Feb 09,
they had a door recall. See thread https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/35460/#376722.

Turns out on the old door, the gasket didn't give the greatest seal and the door was never closed as tight as it could have been. Since getting the new door, I have had a better flame. On 3 it is usually well above the burn pot and the stove definitely works better. I am burning Lignetics, which I absolutely love.

I'm not a tech guy by any means, so this might not even be your problem, but if you have the FS, you might want to check out your gasket and door. Just my opinion.

Have the same stove and usually adjust damper based on feed rate and pellet quality. I know everything is done automatically but in order to get the pretty looking hot flame there is some tweaking( looks nice and wifey likes it). I set the lock collar on the damper last year to what I believe to be the optimum setting on level #2 and adjust out(more infeed air) from there, any less and it turns into a smudge pot.
Enjoy

90durham said:
Have the same stove and usually adjust damper based on feed rate and pellet quality. I know everything is done automatically but in order to get the pretty looking hot flame there is some tweaking( looks nice and wifey likes it). I set the lock collar on the damper last year to what I believe to be the optimum setting on level #2 and adjust out(more infeed air) from there, any less and it turns into a smudge pot.
Enjoy

Agree, play around a bit with the damper and that might also help.

Status
Not open for further replies.