Enviro Empress ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TJC

Jan 13, 2013
Lancaster, NH
My 1st post here was about going pellet and I received some really good info. Thanks for that.

We thought we had decided on the M55 and was set WHEN, Momma through a wrench into the mix.

We are now thinking about an Empress for the Man Cave (insulated and finished basement) and an Empress insert to replace the gas fireplace on the 1st floor.
Reasons are that the M55 in the Man Cave was going to be a bit warm I think to be sitting near even on low when watching TV. Also not sure it was going to work as well as the salespeople think it will on the 1st floor (Open design with approx 16' ceilings and 4 large windows and 2 5-6' sliders) even using floor registers.

So we thought that an Empress in the Man Cave and an Empress insert replacing the gas fireplace would be a great option. Empress being a little less in the BTUs for down stairs and the insert being more BTUs than our gas unit which does a real nice job heating the open area as well as the 2nd floor master bedroom off of the loft area.

My concern is while checking out (on line) the Empress I found more than a couple of reviews that mentioned the stoves having issues with the fire burning back into the hopper area.
Is this a REAL problem with this stove and is this a major concern of other stoves?

Sorry for all the info and questions but being new and looking to spend a fair amount of $$ I want to try and get this right the first time.

Our other option would be to look again at the XXV and an insert for the fireplace.
But if all of these units have burn back issues...............

Thanks for any and all help/suggestions/info

In addition to our side conversation, know that I was electrically heated. The savings accruing using pellet heat on the main floor over electric is substantial and will allow me to purchase an additional stove for the basement in the future. If you can wait...budget it out. Maybe try a unit on the first floor and see how things work out. I don't think anybody here would steer you away from the XXV. It's a great unit.

Thanks,
My big concern with the Empress stove and insert is the reviews I read about the fire burning back and causing an issue.

What is the square footage of the man cave? Would an Enviro Mini work there? Maybe a mini downstairs and the M55 on the first floor. The M55 multi fuel option with the stirrer is a nice thing to have related to minimal cleanings and lack of ash buildup in the burnpot. It's fun making suggestions with your money :)

Hello TJC As an Empress FPI burner and dealing with Enviros a lot, I wouldn't worrry about burnbacks. As the name implies, its usually due to a cleaning issue, and stuff piling up and eventually smoldering back up the chute. Look at your stove properly, keep it clear (the burnpot) and treat fire with respect and you will be a happy Empress owner. The new Empresses are nice stoves, fairly quiet, I'd try to get one with the newest motherboard too (2088 version). All the Enviros are good pellet stoves, the Mini that whiago suggested is nice, quiet, good for up to about 800 sqft. The Empress will heat nicely up to about 1200 sqft. Good luck.

Stovelark
Enviro EF3 FS pellet
Enviro Empress FPI AC pellet
Enviro Kodiak 1700 FS wood (perking along slowly today..)

OMV,
Being a complete newbie I was just inquiring about what I read. I appreciate the feedback.

whlago,
SPend away. LOL The sqft of the Man Cave is just under 1200. So I think the Empress is the way to go for down there.
We are thinking the Empress FPI or maybe a bit bigger than needed, the M55 FPI for the living area. I really feel the Empress insert would work just fine based on the effectiveness of the gas insert that is there now. It is only a 24K BTU and used only really when it gets pretty cold out as a supplement. Heats the open area as well as the MBR up off of the loft area. The Empress is 34K BTU so I would be gaining in the BTU dept and it would become a primary source rather than supplemental.
The M55 insert does have all the whistles and bells over the Empress and it would be nice. More than needed but I can always run it on the lower setting. So it is a real possibility.

SL,
That is what I finding out as far as troubles with any of the stoves. You need to maintain them with some care and problems should be non present.
That and quality pellets.

Got the Enviro installer coming out tomorrow for a looksie at everything. After talking to someone at the dealer today I think we are settled on the Empress FS for the MC.
The 1st floor living area is either going to be the M55 FPI or the Empress FPI. A small part of it will be dependent on what the pricing for 2 stoves/installs/extras will be.
Hoping to get a decent deal since we are spending a fair amount at 1 time.

I will keep all posted and REALLY APPRECIATE the welcome here and the help.

Tom

My 1st post here was about going pellet and I received some really good info. Thanks for that.

We thought we had decided on the M55 and was set WHEN, Momma through a wrench into the mix.

We are now thinking about an Empress for the Man Cave (insulated and finished basement) and an Empress insert to replace the gas fireplace on the 1st floor.
Reasons are that the M55 in the Man Cave was going to be a bit warm I think to be sitting near even on low when watching TV. Also not sure it was going to work as well as the salespeople think it will on the 1st floor (Open design with approx 16' ceilings and 4 large windows and 2 5-6' sliders) even using floor registers.

So we thought that an Empress in the Man Cave and an Empress insert replacing the gas fireplace would be a great option. Empress being a little less in the BTUs for down stairs and the insert being more BTUs than our gas unit which does a real nice job heating the open area as well as the 2nd floor master bedroom off of the loft area.

My concern is while checking out (on line) the Empress I found more than a couple of reviews that mentioned the stoves having issues with the fire burning back into the hopper area.
Is this a REAL problem with this stove and is this a major concern of other stoves?

Sorry for all the info and questions but being new and looking to spend a fair amount of $$ I want to try and get this right the first time.

Our other option would be to look again at the XXV and an insert for the fireplace.
But if all of these units have burn back issues...............

Thanks for any and all help/suggestions/info

Hey, been running the Empress FI since 2008. 5 tons a year with a yearly big clean. I have never heard of a burn back issue
and after having completely disassembled every part of this thing can't see how it could happen. Have the newer motherboard installed and a great help on fine tuning pellet burn.
However, I have the same cathedral, window open floor plan which is a mother to keep the heat at floor level. I would get the M55 for that area especially since it has an outside oak.

p s,

Glad to hear all the goods about the Empress stoves. After talking to a few people including the dealer this AM, I feel comfortable that any problems the others had was most likely due to their mishandling of the stoves.
In fact the lady at the dealership actually showed us a similar stove and what happens when careless operation etc happens. Stove shut down on it's own.

If the deal is sweet enough for the 2 units being purchased at 1x it is most likely we will go with the M55 FPI just for the reasons you state.

Thanks for the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.